flat head Champion performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flat head Champion performance

Many years ago I knew an absolute whiz at getting more go out of a little six. His name was Warren Rausch and he was a North Star chapter member (Twin Cities) Has any of Warren's wisdom survived the decades???

There is a lot which can be done, but if you get very far into mods it might be cheaper to put in a v8.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
      There is a lot which can be done, but if you get very far into mods it might be cheaper to put in a v8.
      But then, it's not always about the money; one might point out for less than you have spent on your Coupe Express one could have a far more powerful and practical used Chevy or Ford pickup. ;>)

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Sorry - l wish that l knew Warren and could help. We also lost the wisdom of Bill Cathcart, a well-known SDC'r who could also "breathe" on a Champion six to give it significant performance .

Is there a "newer" go-to guy for 170/185 (ok, also 164) parts - and mods if that's the route a member wants to take?

Hopefully Warren will be found.
        Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
        61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
        Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
        Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

I would talk to Digger Dave about getting power out of a Studebaker 6 if I were you.
          Richard
          The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
            But then, it's not always about the money; one might point out for less than you have spent on your Coupe Express one could have a far more powerful and practical used Chevy or Ford pickup. ;>)

jack vines
            I agree. That said I cannot think of a chevy or ford truck I'd rather own than my CE.

While money is not the most important thing neither is it useful to invest 3x into something only worth x.

Comment

Digger Dave?
              1952 Studebaker Champion Starliner
              1953 Studebaker Champion Starliner
              1965 Oldsmobile 98 Convertible
              1967 Mercedes 250SL

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                I agree. That said I cannot think of a chevy or ford truck I'd rather own than my CE.

While money is not the most important thing neither is it useful to invest 3x into something only worth x.
                Old cars are never an investment. They're a hobby which can maybe recoup a small percentage of the cost to play. I remind my golfer friends at least I could get back some of what I've spent on Studebakers. Their last golfing vacation to Hawaii is $10,000 gone forever.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                  Old cars are never an investment. They're a hobby which can maybe recoup a small percentage of the cost to play. I remind my golfer friends at least I could get back some of what I've spent on Studebakers. Their last golfing vacation to Hawaii is $10,000 gone forever.

jack vines
                  Thanks for your perspective, Jack. For me, I have never bought a vehicle based on how much was spent on it, or what its resale value might be. Rather I have always purchased my vehicles by looking for the best deal and for their usefulness for my intended purpose. If any of you ever see me advertise a vehicle for sale where you see me claiming I'm taking a huge loss in what I spent on it...you will know I have lost what little sanity I have left. Because I try to sell things by finding someone really wanting it enough to pay what I'm willing to take. For my collector vehicles, what I'm willing to take will be negotiable depending on the reality of the moment.

Sometimes, selling a vehicle trying to impress others by telling them how much you are losing by taking thousands of dollars less than invested is like bragging how much of a fool you are! It's better to appeal to the buyer on how much enjoyment the vehicle can be for their future! In that way, two responsible adults can negotiate a satisfactory deal pleasing to each of them and be able to part company in honesty, eyeball to eyeball, with no recrimination toward either. The chance that either will develop buyer's/seller's remorse later is an individual choice of human nature.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

IMHO a car is an investment.

Unlike stocks or money in an account you can drive them and go places and have fun. When you get done you usually are lucky if you can get most of your money back. Sometimes you lose big, sometimes you might win big. I have had all of the above experiences.

I always start out trying to make a little but usually end up feeling lucky to get most of my money back and having fun.

Comment

Always tried to keep the car hobby stuff separate from the investments (real estate, IRA's and stocks). Then divorce happened and the looser hobby stuff became a major part of my personal portfolio. I worked more years then I had intended, but that was only time. A small price to pay for the enjoyment that my cars have given me. I have never worried about the value of what I own, until I decide to sell, which I do very infrequently.

Comment

Well, it is the dead of winter and as is our wont, wandering way off topic. This one could yet set a new record, going from flathead performance to deceased members to engine swaps to another deceased member to a discussion of whether a hobby can be an investment to divorce settlements and so it goes.

Back to the original topic of flathead Champion performance; a few of us still know how to build for increasing the horsepower. A very few of us know enough to tell customers not to expect too much; additional Champion horsepower can get costly. Someday, I'm going to build one with three SU carbs.

Here's a Ford Model A with two SUs to give an idea of what it would look like.

jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

Jack, is that already laid out for a Champion engine ? Love the SU's, always wanted to do a set ...or 4... on one of my V-8 engines kinda like Daimler did...
                          Attached Files

Comment

Same question, Jack, what is in the second pic?
                            1952 Studebaker Champion Starliner
                            1953 Studebaker Champion Starliner
                            1965 Oldsmobile 98 Convertible
                            1967 Mercedes 250SL

Comment

That photo is for the classic Jaguar OHC-6.

I've figured how to cut and weld two of the BMC 4-cylinder two-carb intake manifolds to make a three-carb manifold for the Champion, similar to the Jaguar.

jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X