Hood brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hood brace

I notice on page 8 of the January issue of TW's that the hood brace on the museum;s red Daytona was black. I'm wondering if all were black, or were some painted body colour? My car was assembled in Canada in May 1964. I also noted that it had two attachment holes on each side of the hood. Also any idea where to get the proper hood pad?

T-cab

All of our 64's 65's and 66's are black. The factory dipped them in that black paint they dipped most everything in. Most Canada built cars had better paint jobs under the hoods and in the jambs. The cars had more paint on the undersides of the hood. South Bend cars were more primer than paint. The pads and the hood stiffeners were put on after paint....

The radiator baffles, torsion rods, hood brace, were all the same cheap, one coat black paint that quickly rusted....... I'm not sure what if any vendor carries the hood pad in your area, but the pads are available. We have them, SI has them, other places have them. I don't ship past BC Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
      All of our 64's 65's and 66's are black. The factory dipped them in that black paint they dipped most everything in. Most Canada built cars had better paint jobs under the hoods and in the jambs. The cars had more paint on the undersides of the hood. South Bend cars were more primer than paint. The pads and the hood stiffeners were put on after paint....

The radiator baffles, torsion rods, hood brace, were all the same cheap, one coat black paint that quickly rusted....... I'm not sure what if any vendor carries the hood pad in your area, but the pads are available. We have them, SI has them, other places have them. I don't ship past BC Canada.
      How hard is it to remove the two torsion rods on my '64 hood? I'm afraid if I take them off I will not be able to put them back in properly

T-Cab

Comment

Originally posted by T-CAB View Post
        I notice on page 8 of the January issue of TW's that the hood brace on the museum;s red Daytona was black. I'm wondering if all were black, or were some painted body colour? My car was assembled in Canada in May 1964. I also noted that it had two attachment holes on each side of the hood. Also any idea where to get the proper hood pad?

T-cab
        On my January TW it's on page 6.

Comment

The problem with painting them, is when you slide them through the holes to install them- it wipes out the paint job. Notice how they are oriented when installed and how they look. Clean them up, prime them completely and paint the ends completely and the' back' of the rods. You can put one quick coat on the front. Install them then mask the hood and paint them on the car.... It also helps if you push them towards the rear while sliding them through. The scratch will be on the 'back' .

The bolts look great in Evapo Rust and matte clear. The tension is less if you have the hood not all the way 'up' . Use gloves and a towel. Remove the nut while holding the bolt into the hole so it does not 'snap' apart. It will stay until you grab it with both hands, and pull it apart. A small tap helps.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. The hood is off the car so maybe it will not be a problem.

T-cab

Comment

Working...
            X