Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dick Steinkamp: Were you involved in this bit of mischief?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dick Steinkamp: Were you involved in this bit of mischief?

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Dick knows how to spell Commander....
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

At first glance I didn't like that car, but after looking more closely I changed my mind. I would like it better if the greenhouse was a bit longer to balance the side view, but not bad. Also, I am not a fan of the color choice, but that is a personal issue and not a design fault.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Not me, but it sure fits together nicely. Well done.

Like Howard, I'd probably pick a different color and probably not two tone it. Also different wheels, tires, stance, but all those are minor and personal choices. It certainly looks like a well thought out and quality build. Dry Eastern Washington too.
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
          Not me, but it sure fits together nicely. Well done.

Like Howard, I'd probably pick a different color and probably not two tone it. Also different wheels, tires, stance, but all those are minor and personal choices. It certainly looks like a well thought out and quality build. Dry Eastern Washington too.
          It took a little patience on my part to wait for you to respond. I have high regard for your past work and felt that some of the work (especially paint) was a bit LOUD for you. But, for me, I love the coziness of the cockpit and the (ghost-like) Coupe Express quality of the build. I'd love to see a drawing (photoshop?) of your excellent cosmetic touch of how you would finish such a project.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Unfortunate choice of color. Makes it look like a bath tub.
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I had no doubt that Dick knows how to spell commander.

I didn't actually think Dick had built it, because, if he had he probably would have showed it to folks here long ago. I did wonder though, if he and the builder had talked about how to go about fabricating it - maybe the builder had seen Dick's Cart Hauler and had picked his brain (guess not).

Imagine if the doctor's/businessman's coupe at the time had offered something like that as an option - maybe as a Ute in OZ.

I wonder if the owner/fabricator is an SDC member or hangs out here?
              Kenmore, Washington
              hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
              '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
              '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
              '69 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

I would have to lose the "Aces & Eights."
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

This one was last For Sale in March 2014.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by hausdok View Post

I didn't actually think Dick had built it, because, if he had he probably would have showed it to folks here long ago. I did wonder though, if he and the builder had talked about how to go about fabricating it - maybe the builder had seen Dick's Cart Hauler and had picked his brain (guess not).
                    It was my understanding that Dick did not build the Cart Hauler, that someone else had built it and he only restored it.
                    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                    Romans 15:13
                    Deuteronomy 31:6
                    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                      It was my understanding that Dick did not build the Cart Hauler, that someone else had built it and he only restored it.
                      You're probably right. I haven't been around here long enough to know all of the ins and outs of the histories of these cars like some of you.
                      Kenmore, Washington
                      hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                      '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                      '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                      '69 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

Originally posted by hausdok View Post
                        You're probably right. I haven't been around here long enough to know all of the ins and outs of the histories of these cars like some of you.
                        For sure I didn't build it. I'm hardly that talented. Lee Talbot and Sam Chakires built it in 1958. A couple of talented guys. They had it in the 1959 Oakland Roadster Show (later became the Grand National Roadster Show). I had the car in the GNRS 50 years later.

Here's my blog on the restoration. It's newest to oldest.

http://studeute.steinkamp.us/
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I like it. Very creative and well executed. A modern expression of the wonderful Coupe Express. Makes me wonder why Studebaker didn't decide to produce one. I'm glad this one exists.

Comment

Can certainly tell that Dick didn't prepare the add. Details; 'automatic transmission'. Not the kind of add any proud builder would be satisfied with. This thing is not a Prius ya know.
                            What's it got unner da hood? Is about the FIRST thing any rodder is going to want to know.

Comment

The owner and I exchanged a few notes.

He is not an SDC member. It's powered by a 327 SBC with an automatic transmission and a Ford 9-inch rear. He said it has a Mustang "front clip" but I suspect he's referring to a Mustang II front steering rack and suspension.

He got the car in trade from an outfit called Barn Find Classic Car in Mount Vernon. He never met the fabricator at Mel's Street Rods. As far as he knows the car was fabricated by Mel's at their shop someplace in Bellingham, but that's all he knows about it.

If anyone is interested in talking to him directly, his name is Dennis Tjoelker and his phont number is 509-750-7200. He's a truck driver, so, if he doesn't answer, leave him a message and he'll get back to you.

I dunno, I think it would be worthy of an article in TW that covered restorod, restomod and retromod customizations. What say you all?
                              Kenmore, Washington
                              hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                              '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                              '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                              '69 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

Working...
                              X