Wow a George Barris Wannabe Got Hold of This Stude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow a George Barris Wannabe Got Hold of This Stude

1953 Studebaker, Missing Title, unique classic car back fins, buyer responsible for pickup, vehicle location is Carteret, NJ*Last photo is picture of Studebaker when originally purchased in 1979
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

It's been in the magazines...
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Probably the closest Stude custom to our '53 I have seen. Pics in signature.
      Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
      jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

...what a pretty dash board!

Comment

Originally posted by skyway View Post
          ...what a pretty dash board!
          Yeah!
          There's a lot I like about that car. The roof, all the glass, the doors, the hood and trunk lid, the steering wheel, the dash, the bumpers, the engine. I don't care so much for the rest of it.
          Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

I've never been a fan of customs with the more radical changes, like those headlight surrounds. However, in the context of when it was built it is not too bad.
            With a full restoration the car would turn heads and make some guys drool..........But I still wouldn't want to own it.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

I have seen frenched headlamps before but those are the deepest ever.
              Bill

Comment

If I were going to modify a car, I would start with something ugly, and try to make it more appealling. In this case, they did the opposite.
                Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

I don't see any front turn signals, are they hidden somewhere, or are the fog lights also being used for that?

Mark
                  sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

George was a businessman. He was noted for top notch workmanship and for completing projects. -A rare quality in the '50s and '60s, a time when most 'restyling' projects ended up with a quick visit to the junkyard and into the crusher, to be replaced by Detroit's latest dream chariot.
                    And as they say, 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'. One must remember that on many Barris crafted vehicles, the paying customer provided the ideas and directions of what they wanted Barris to transform into their personal vision of uniquely sculptured metal.
                    With privately owned vehicles, the paying customers tastes and choices are always right.
                    Just saying, if you see something that appears awkward on a Barris built vehicle, or any that were so modified under 'contract' work, it is not always the Kustomizer himself that was responsible for the ahhh...er ...aesthetics of his creations. Not that George didn't turn out a few turkeys of his own, it was after all the '50 and 'Jet Age' tastes were yet evolving.
                    Nothing really stating who performed the modifications on this one, the owner or a paid craftsman.
                    Whatever, it is a unique memorial to styling excesses of the Fabulous Fifties unlikely ever to be recreated, and as such should be restored and preserved in all of its glory.

I once had a customer with a gorgeous show quality Corvette, he came to me wanting octopus's, squids, fish and various sea life painted all over it. Because .....
                    a 'Corvette' is a type of sailing ship. I ended up making him a nice license plate with a Corvette sailing ship on it. Some guys would have just taken his money and utterly screwed up a nice Corvette.
                    Last edited by Jessie J.; 01-13-2019, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Like the wheel covers.
                      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Working...
                      X