Halogen headlight bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Halogen headlight bulbs

Does anyone have any experience using 6-volt halogen headlights in an early 50s Champion? I've always been a fan of the European (Hella, Cibie) H4 headlights because of the pattern of light they project and the way they put the light in just the right places. I realize the halogen bulbs draw more current than normal American headlights; what I'm wondering is if the stock headlight switch in my '5l Champion will handle that extra current without overheating, or if I should use a relay to send power to the lights. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Go with relays. I used this as a guide when I put H4s in my 914. Haven't done my 52 yet but someday? Just have to watch polarity for + ground.

Last edited by gjamesk; 01-04-2019, 03:34 PM.
    3H-C5 "The Blue Goose"

Comment

What Garry said, definitely go with relays. When I owned my ‘55 Commander wagon, I went with H4 bulbs and wired them in using NOS Delco 6 volt relays, part number 1116789. There are usually a handful on eBay. When it was done, that car had the brightest 6 volt headlights I’ve ever seen on a Stude.

I’ve got another pair of relays for the ‘51 but I’m waiting until I replace the wiring harness before I put them in.

Another thing to consider, 1951-52 headlight switches are extremely scarce, and expensive if you can find them. Putting less current through the switch would be a good idea regardless of which bulbs you’re running.

Comment

Why not use the Cibie housings and put H4 compatable LED bulbs into them? That way no rewiring, and less draw on the heaslight switch than even stock bulbs.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
        X