1955 v8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 v8

Was the 1955 V8 made by Studebaker? I am a new member and am looking at a '55 with an 8 cylinder engine. Thank you for any input.

Designed by Studebaker, Made by Studebaker. Welcome to the Studebaker world!

Comment

Maybe it's a Clipper V8 made by Packard

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Engine swaps were common, with other year Studebaker engines and GM V-8's being the usual candidates. Post a photo or the engine serial number located at the front of the block.

Comment

You can ID it by the engine serial number.

Skip Lackie

Comment

Regarding post depression era cars (early trucks were another matter), the Golden Hawk in '56, and the '65 / '66 sedans were the only Studebakers built without their own brand of engine.

Comment

Studebaker had, basically 3 engines that they used, in '55 passenger cars. A 185" six, used in the Champions. A 224" V8 that was only used in early production Commanders, and a 259" V8, President engine, that was also used in the later production Commanders. If the car your looking at, still has its original engine? It's most likely a 259".

Mark
              sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

I have a 1955 Dealer salesman manual full of all the factory specs with photos on all models . It shows photos of the engine with all the factory specs
                If interested contact me at joebetsy6@gmail.com
                Happy New Year

Joe Parsons

Comment

My 55 Truck has the first year of the V8 224-hsp
                  Stude-Danny

1955 E13 Lift Bed

Comment

Originally posted by SB-Danny View Post
                    My 55 Truck has the first year of the V8 224-hsp
                    Almost correct.
                    Make that, the First year for Stude. V8's in 1/2 & 3/4 Ton TRUCKS! Also 224 c.i.d. not H.P.

Click image for larger version

Name:	55 Comm HT4.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1724823 Here is a '55 Studebaker President V8.
                    Sorry, if the OP is looking at a Packard I don't have a Pic of the Packard V8 engine.
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 01-03-2019, 03:20 PM.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Packard49 View Post
                      Was the 1955 V8 made by Studebaker? I am a new member and am looking at a '55 with an 8 cylinder engine. Thank you for any input.
                      To me, it is confusing if you are asking about a V8 in a 1955 Studebaker or in a 1955 Packard. They would be different engines, but both were made by Studebaker-Packard Corporation.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Packard49 I see you are from North Carolina. There are two SDC chapters in the state. One is the Eastern North Carolina chapter and the other being the North Carolina chapter. Depending on where in the state you are located you might want to join one, or both, of these chapters. The North Carolina chapter covers from mid-Piedmont to the mountains and the Eastern NC Chapter from Raleigh to the coast. For more info PM me with your contact information and I can get you more details.
                        Joe Roberts
                        '61 R1 Champ
                        '65 Cruiser
                        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Thanks for ALL the input. The car that I am interested in is not close to me at this point, as I am a "snow bird" in Florida. I have a car guy friend that is going to review the car next week; at which time I will get the VIN and engine numbers.

Again, Many Thanks..........Marc

Comment

Also get the number from the firewall tag under the hood. It's in front of the passenger. It should say something like 16G8 - W5 1234.

That will tell us the model and level of trim, or level of "deluxe-ness" if you will.
                            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Packard49 View Post
                              Thanks for ALL the input. The car that I am interested in is not close to me at this point, as I am a "snow bird" in Florida. I have a car guy friend that is going to review the car next week; at which time I will get the VIN and engine numbers.

Again, Many Thanks..........Marc
                              I'm still waiting to hear if it's a Stude or a Packard
                              Jerry Forrester
                              Forrester's Chrome
                              Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Working...
                              X