Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know of any fiberglass nose pieces that could be purchased?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know of any fiberglass nose pieces that could be purchased?

I am looking at a rough packard hawk and wondering if anyone has any fiberglass parts that they would part with?

Are you a "Have Wallet will Travel" kind of Guy Jeffery?

I do not know of any, but they ARE out there, good luck.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

SI used to have NOS hoods (I don't know the current situation). I do not remember any nose pieces.

Did you check with Matt B.? He parted out a Packard Hawk not too long ago. You can reach him on this forum or at Stephen Allen's.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have five hoods, nose panels, grills, front bars, lots of spares, I just shipped a hood to Dan in Cal from OZ.
        Brian Greenall
        Melbourne, OZ
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by packardHawk58 View Post
          I have five hoods, nose panels, grills, front bars, lots of spares, I just shipped a hood to Dan in Cal from OZ.
          Brian,

Do you have an extra fake hood scoop, laying around??? A really, really, really nice one???
          Bo

Comment

Originally posted by packardHawk58 View Post
            This is beyond weird at this time of night. Packard Hawks are unobtanium here in their native land. How did all these spares wind up half a world away?

Was there even one sold originally in OZ?

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Jack, I bought a package of three a couple of years ago and they came with a heap of spares with the deal, I also have my restored car plus one sitting in Santa Marie loaned to Dan who is using it as a copy for his Bonneville car.
              I would post pics but the photobucket system has gone south for me , too hard.
              Bo, I remembered you asked me for one at SB 017, I just thought you would have found one by now, I will have a look and get back to you.
              PM me your direct email.
              Brian Greenall
              Melbourne, OZ
              sigpic

Comment

Jack, I have shipped 60 Studebakers over the years so its not a big deal that the parts are sitting in OZ.
                Also have two PH cars with consecutive vin numbers. BP knows of these cars.
                Last edited by packardHawk58; 12-31-2018, 09:00 PM. Reason: to add more infornation.
                Brian Greenall
                Melbourne, OZ
                sigpic

Comment

Jack,

They are not unobtainium. One just has to know how to search the net to best advantage and then keep at it. Back in 2011, within six months of my first signing on here, I found close to two dozen PHs that were unrelated to club members. You can find 'em a lot of ways. A millenial might take a photo of one and post it to Snap Chat as a curiosity. Follow up, find the location where he/she took the picture, do a satellite search of the surrounding neighborhood and streets and, voila, it's there. Confirm with a google street view. If you really want a PH, Robert Kapteyn had two of them in the basement of his warehouse in Chicago when I was out there a few years ago.

They are out there. One just sold on ebay two weeks ago for $5500. Very very rough - some of the fiberglass components looked like someone was practicing how to use a grinder on them. Body parts were so rusty that, in my opinion, the buyer is going to need to find a donor car and salvage the A-pillar with data plate from the original and start from there.

As for the original poster. If you have the fiberglass components and they need repair, you should be talking to Brian (packardHawk58 above) about that. The guy is a fiberglass meistro.
                  Last edited by hausdok; 01-01-2019, 04:41 AM.
                  Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                  Kenmore, Washington
                  hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                  '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                  '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                  '69 Pontiac Firebird
                  (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Originally posted by cabforward View Post
                    I am looking at a rough packard hawk and wondering if anyone has any fiberglass parts that they would part with?
                    call Barry Hackney 281 787 6230
                    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

No, I am a teacher that has limited funds and am a dreamer that thinks he can fix anything with ingenuity to make my own parts and hard work , unrealistically.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post

Did you check with Matt B.? He parted out a Packard Hawk not too long ago. You can reach him on this forum or at Stephen Allen's.
                        We've still got the carcass, but everything Packard-Hawk-Specific is long gone.

One can always substitute an Avanti II nose until the correct one could be found.

Last edited by mbstude; 01-01-2019, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Brian,

Just a few comments and a question. Congratulations for being ahead of the curve, and seeing the value in striking while the iron was hot. The PH's unique styling made the car, often take a back seat to other Studebakers, that many felt were more attractive. It's only been a few years that any of the 58 Packard line has been given a second thought. I watched as you were able to pluck some really nice cars from the prime hunting grounds on the West coast. As people on the more rust prone areas of the US sat on their hands, or tried to save rusty parts cars, you got some good ones.

Did you buy the two PHs that Mike Simon had? The cars that I'm talking about were both vary nice. I remember one as being better the the other, but both restored/refurbished rust free NW cars. The last time I saw him was at the Labor Day show in Black Diamond Wa, maybe seven to ten years ago-where he was showing the best of the two. His wife hated the PH, and he was tired of the distaff push-back. He was looking for a car that he and his wife could enjoy together, and was looking to sell the PHs. I tried to talk him out of selling but to no avail. The last time I saw him he had a Chevelle, which his wife seemed to like much better.

Did you happen to buy the low mileage 1954 Commander Conestoga, about three and a half years ago. I found the car before it was bought and flipped on Craig's List. That was a tough one to swallow, but I couldn't get Mary excited about the car. It quickly changed hands a couple of times, after I turned it down. I then heard that it had gone to OZ, but I never found out who got it. I did get an original 22K mile Buick Riviera out of the same garage the 54 was housed. Both car had been there, unmoved since the early 90's.-Bill

Comment

Bill,
                            I am a panel beater/worker by trade so I only buy cars to restore, no point buying them already done. But in saying that I do like to buy rust free examples unless they are super rare and cant be replaced ( R series Larks ) .
                            So I didn't buy those Ph's that you mentioned or the 54 Conestoga. Personally I would rather have a PH over a Chevelle any day. I am contemplating making a mould to reproduce the PH nose cone and it wouldn't be hard to do a hood as well.
                            That low mileage Buick you bought would be a very nice car to have, nice design those Riviera's if its one of the early cars.
                            Too bad we only got in contact now, we could have caught up for a chat in Tacoma.
                            Brian Greenall
                            Melbourne, OZ
                            sigpic

Comment

Now that would be a real custom job, the packvanti. or the avtard, or maybe the retard. Just having fun.
                              I have the nose off of my PH and am also thinking of reproducing. It does not make that much sense unless you have the fenders restamped or redone where the nose goes. Crazy enough to do the nose, and hood would be crazy enough to make the weld on packard nose fender metal. Oops almost forgot the hood scoop chrome and the unobtainable front fender stainless.

Comment

Working...
                              X