55 E13 Battery Cradle for the V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 55 E13 Battery Cradle for the V8

Hey folks, I wanted to put this out there again. I am still looking for an original battery cradle & bracket for my 55 E13 6-volt 224-V8. Any late great news? I was told to contact Vern Edinger which I did but he does not have. Educate me again...is the cradle for the V8 termed "HD"? and is the 6-cylinder termed "standard" for the cradle? I know they are rare for the V8. Do I just start searching junk-yards? Suggestions appreciated.
    Last edited by SB-Danny; 12-31-2018, 11:01 AM.
    Stude-Danny

1955 E13 Lift Bed

Stude made four different battery cradles for 2R, 3R, and E series 6-volt trucks. One for "standard" size batteries (now presumably group 1) and a larger one for HD batteries (series 2?) for 6-cylinder trucks. And two more for V8s (680349 for standard batteries and 680348 for HD batteries). The 6-cyl cradles mount directly on the frame rail, which may not be possible with the V8 engine. Not sure how they mount.

One thing you could do is install one from a later truck, but that would require drilling holes in the fender apron.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

If you can find some fellow SDC member close enough who has one of these battery cradles, it shouldn't be too difficult to duplicate one using appropriate size angle iron.

Using a tape measure, hacksaw, buzz box welder, vice grips, and a few C-clamps. You could have one fabricated (including the battery hold down) in a relatively short time and have the satisfaction of knowing you made it.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Just bought one from Tom K. One of those last names I can not spell. Lives on Mulberry Rd. south of Roosevelt Rd. Still have the truck in the garage. Welcome to come and look. Will be in the garage tomorrow, Jan. 1. Give me a call. 574850101three.

Comment

Hi Danny, would love to see pictures of your '55 E13! That's a rare truck for sure. Is this the right size? See the second picture for area that needs a bit of repair.

Click image for larger version

Name:	battery tray 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1724806Click image for larger version

Name:	battery tray 2.jpg
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	1724807Click image for larger version

Name:	battery tray 3.jpg
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1724805Click image for larger version

Name:	battery tray 4.jpg
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	1724808

If you're interested, just send a PM.

Take care
          Last edited by asesolen; 01-01-2019, 10:00 AM.
          Mike Lynch
          Sunnyslope, AZ

"Be kind and civil. Allow that you may be mistaken; allow that others will make mistakes, be gracious. If you're going to contribute, try to make it worthwhile."
          Alan Taylor

Comment

Mike, I am interested in purchasing the battery cradle. Please call me at 31297518onenine. I did send a PM but not sure how to use since new to the site.
            Stude-Danny

1955 E13 Lift Bed

Comment

Hi, Danny,

My mint '55 E12 battery cradle finally surfaced in my fourth storage area. If you still need one, PM me.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
              X