PDA

View Full Version : 1954 Loewy coupe dash

Hawklover
12-23-2018, 09:17 AM
Greetings!
Can someone post a picture of the dash from a 1954 Loewy Coupe .....I seem to remember that the '54 dash was different than the '53.........more toggle switches??

Many thanks!

Mike Van Veghten
12-23-2018, 09:26 AM
The "dash" board is the same part. As is the majority of the bolt on's.
The gauge cluster is slightly different the chrome "bar" that goes across the dash, the end pieces are the same...but different. The 53 has small separate ends, the 54, the ends are cast as part of the whole.
The switch count has more to do with the accessory's that the car has. I believe the "blank" one in most cars is for the fog lights.

And yes, ALL of the dash boards (main body) are the same. That is the C-K bodies, the sedan bodies and the wagon bodies...all the same part. Ask me how I know..!

Mike

Dick Steinkamp
12-23-2018, 09:32 AM
As Mike says, they are essentially the same. 6 cylinder dashes were different from the V8 dashes (just like 53), but all bodies shared the same 2 dashes depending on if they were Commanders or Champions.

The biggest difference was that the V8 instruments were not "hooded" like in 53

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/6D4AAOxy79VRc7Tf/s-l500.jpg

junior
12-23-2018, 09:43 AM
53 C bodies had black gauge faces and the 54's had white...don't know about the K's. cheers, junior

opps, make that ...'53 C bodies had black gauge PANEL'

studegary
12-23-2018, 10:12 AM
53 C bodies had black gauge faces and the 54's had white...don't know about the K's. cheers, junior

I have owned many 1953 and 1954 C and K models. I never noticed this difference.
I went to John Bridges book. He shows all black face gauges for both years.
Dick Steinkamp's excellent picture of a 1954 dash (post 3) shows black gauge faces.
The only things that I can think of relative to your comment are; California production was different from SB, some have faded away in the CA sun, you have seen modified gauges.

Hawklover
12-23-2018, 10:24 AM
Many thanks to all......the memory is a bit 'worn" as I move through the wonderful seventh decade;-)

junior
12-23-2018, 01:15 PM
I have owned many 1953 and 1954 C and K models. I never noticed this difference.
I went to John Bridges book. He shows all black face gauges for both years.
Dick Steinkamp's excellent picture of a 1954 dash (post 3) shows black gauge faces.
The only things that I can think of relative to your comment are; California production was different from SB, some have faded away in the CA sun, you have seen modified gauges.

Thanks Gary, I stand corrected here , my memory is fuzzy...the 53 Champions had a black gauge panel and the 54's panel was white ...both years had black gauge faces. I have edited my original response. cheers, Junior

Hallabutt
12-23-2018, 02:05 PM
I find it somewhat annoyingly, humorous that so few can really remember the way the original dashes of these icons looked. The cars still exist, but so many of them have been altered, that it's not surprising that so few originals can be resourced, or recalled. I'm not against altering any post-war Studebaker, but would really like to see a more equitable distribution of stock and altered.

bensherb
12-24-2018, 06:58 PM
'53 Champion
https://www.hemmings.com/blog/wp-content/uploads//2009/11/1953sedan_7019_1000.jpg'53 Commander
https://assets.hemmings.com/blog/wp-content/uploads//2012/05/ML1953Stude_04_1200-700x419.jpg
'54 Champion
https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6208/6083834195_fedc1458d0_b.jpg
'54 Commander
https://www.hemmings.com/blog/wp-content/uploads//2009/11/Studeregionalshow_6982_1000.jpg

rockne10
12-25-2018, 03:49 PM
Here's a very cool reference site.
https://www.sites.google.com/site/identifyinginstrumentpanels/home

S2Deluxe
12-25-2018, 05:15 PM
I seem to remember that the '54 dash was different than the '53.........more toggle switches??

The '53 & '54 Champion dashes both have 4 locations for toggle switch installation, '53 - '54 Commander dashes each have 6! The left most is for the fog light switch, when so equipped. The right most is for the starter switch only used on models equipped with Automatic trans. A push button switch, same as the dimmer switch. Was located on the floorboard under the clutch pedal, for the manual transmissions.

Mark

S2Deluxe
12-26-2018, 02:03 AM
'54 Champion
https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6208/6083834195_fedc1458d0_b.jpg
This photo shows a beautifully restored Champion dash, with an aftermarket turn signal lever. However, the toggle switches do not look like those originally used on '54 Champions.

Mark

junior
12-26-2018, 10:24 AM
This photo shows a beautifully restored Champion dash, with an aftermarket turn signal lever. However, the toggle switches do not look like those originally used on '54 Champions.

Mark

My '54 Champion has identical switches to the ones in the photo, and I'm pretty sure they are what was installed at the factory in Hamilton. cheers, junior

Blue 15G
12-26-2018, 11:59 AM
My '54 Champion has identical switches to the ones in the photo, and I'm pretty sure they are what was installed at the factory in Hamilton. cheers, junior

I agree with junior on this. My '54 Champion Starliner has the same toggle switches and they seem to be original.

Also, on the '54 Champion Dash shown, the small, separate chrome piece to the left of the headlight switch wasn't separate on the '54s. The larger chrome dash piece that surrounds the instruments had that little "ear", for lack of a better word, molded as part of it on the '54s.

My '54 has a separate piece like the '53s because I found a '53 dash with better chrome and used that during the car's restoration. But the original was the one piece unit. The '54 instrument panel shown must have had the same thing done.

S2Deluxe
01-01-2019, 02:49 AM
I agree with junior on this. My '54 Champion Starliner has the same toggle switches and they seem to be original.

I could certainly have been mistaken, about it. I was assuming that Studebaker would have used the same style switches in both, Champions and Commanders, as they did in '53. It's not the first time, I've made that same mistake. Hopefully, I have learned and will now remember? That's why I'm here! Thanks,

Mark

Jeff_H
01-01-2019, 06:08 AM
Also, on the '54 Champion Dash shown, the small, separate chrome piece to the left of the headlight switch wasn't separate on the '54s. The larger chrome dash piece that surrounds the instruments had that little "ear", for lack of a better word, molded as part of it on the '54s.

My '54 has a separate piece like the '53s because I found a '53 dash with better chrome and used that during the car's restoration. But the original was the one piece unit. The '54 instrument panel shown must have had the same thing done.

I wonder if that was a running change? I pulled the cluster out of a '54 Conestoga since the chrome was perfect and swapped all the internal parts from my '53. It was not one with the integrated "ears" they were separate parts. That dash was unlikely to have been swapped into that wagon as it had the light colored gauge background compared to the black as shown above. Nobody would go through that much work on a repair with used parts. Also had the toggle switches with the balls on them vs the '53 style.

Blue 15G
01-03-2019, 07:55 AM
I wonder if that was a running change? I pulled the cluster out of a '54 Conestoga since the chrome was perfect and swapped all the internal parts from my '53. It was not one with the integrated "ears" they were separate parts. That dash was unlikely to have been swapped into that wagon as it had the light colored gauge background compared to the black as shown above. Nobody would go through that much work on a repair with used parts. Also had the toggle switches with the balls on them vs the '53 style.

That could be the case Jeff, although my '54 was built very early. Or, maybe on the sedans and wagons the later style chrome piece was phased in and the coupes and hardtops had them early on. Someone may know for sure.