Mecum action---Kissimmee 2019 Jan 3-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mecum action---Kissimmee 2019 Jan 3-13

14 Studes at this years action. Click on Kissimmee in the "auction" box and Studebaker in the "make" box.
    Page Not Found. Here are some quick links to the top Mecum Auctions pages to get you back on track quickly.

That will give their two TV Commentators (Dumb & Dumber) 14 more opportunities to bash the Brand.

Comment

Originally posted by willys54 View Post
      That will give their two TV Commentators (Dumb & Dumber) 14 more opportunities to bash the Brand.
      Disagree! The last couple of Mecum Auctions I watched, they were pretty knowledgeable about the brand and complimentary about the performance potential. No Ford 289 stuff.

Bob

Comment

Wow! That gold '55 Commander took my breath away. It looks very similar to my first Studebaker. Right down to the gold paint job. I sure like what was done to the interior. It is pretty stock but the dash has updated gauges. Very nicely done. I would be reliving my youth if I bought it. I suspect it will go for a bit more than I could spend. Sure is nice.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I only counted 13 and 6 of them are 55s. That is surprising.
          Last edited by ddub; 12-22-2018, 10:39 AM.
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Two of the 14 Studebakers would be of interest to me - the Avanti and the No Reserve Sky Hawk.

I am surprised that there are no post-Studebaker Avantis, in a Florida auction, out of 3K vehicles.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Impressive stuff, from street rods, and customs, to some nicely represented originals (maybe even a survivor or two)a nice cross section. Cars like this, especially the no-reserve cars, should be able to help provide a benchmark for the ongoing values for Studebaker. Hard to tell from pictures, but I really don't see a weak sister in the bunch. It would be interesting to get some narrative form some people who really know these, particular cars.

Comment

Agree, any of those would be nice to own. Wonder if they're representing the 14,000 miles on the '56 Sky Hawk as original?

They always get something wrong. The Coupe Express is nice enough without the flakey flack. Take this copywriter out and flog him with old spark plug wires.

this Studebaker is powered by a worked GMC 292 CI OHV inline 6-cylinder engine. A mill from the earliest roots of Hot Rodding, it features the lump-port head, dual side-draft carburetors and a dyno-tested 250 HP.
                He's obviously confusing the 1966-'88 292" Chevy six with the much older 1939-'60 GMC six and it's got down-draft carbs, not side-drafts.

jack vines
                Last edited by PackardV8; 12-21-2018, 12:36 PM.
                PackardV8

Comment

Engine compartment on the first car listed is disappointing compared to the rest of the car. Motor is not a 259, it is a Chevy.

Comment

Originally posted by fastjohnll View Post
                    Engine compartment on the first car listed is disappointing compared to the rest of the car. Motor is not a 259, it is a Chevy.
                    Agree; that's beyond disappointing. The guy who installed the SBC wires and plumbs like he'd never seen it done before.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0119-35...ker-commander/

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Disappointing on two levels. Mecum missed the SBC and the total crap plumbing on the engine. The owner takes the time to change the engine and then leaves it looking like this. A major deduction in car-guy points at a minimum. I'd also question the quality of the total installation.

Bah Humbug!!!

Bob

Comment

The buyer will need to stay in the deep south; note the no heater / defroster option! BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                          Agree, any of those would be nice to own. Wonder if they're representing the 14,000 miles on the '56 Sky Hawk as original?

They always get something wrong. The Coupe Express is nice enough without the flakey flack. Take this copywriter out and flog him with old spark plug wires.

He's obviously confusing the 1966-'88 292" Chevy six with the much older 1939-'60 GMC six and it's got down-draft carbs, not side-drafts.

jack vines
                          Not the way that I would have built it either, but man I'm such a sucker for 292's with muliple carbs (3 DCOE's would be awesome) backed with a manual tranny...and CE's...and quickie 3rd members that this little truck has grabbed my attention. Seems to be a lot of conflicting build themes going on at one time, but the build quality seems to be solid. One really cool detail I like is that sliding tool box under the seat. How come so many rodded CE's still have rectangular back windows, and rear fenders that don't have a radius that match the rear tire diameter??? Wonder how much this puppy will sell for... cheers, junior

looking at the photo of the rear suspension...I see two lower links and what I think is a Watts link from the right side axle tube up the the left frame rail...but shouldn't there at least be a 3rd link to counter the rotation of the whole rear axle under torque loading/unloading from the engine? opinons?

Last edited by junior; 12-22-2018, 07:05 AM.
                          sigpic
                          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                            The buyer will need to stay in the deep south; note the no heater / defroster option! BP
                            Not with most collector cars only being used in fair weather.
                            I owned a '55 Commander coupe with no heater that was from Miami.
                            As late as the 1960s, there were still people up here, where it gets to 20 below, ordering cars without heaters. I doubt that they could get a car without heater after that
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                              Not with most collector cars only being used in fair weather.
                              I owned a '55 Commander coupe with no heater that was from Miami.
                              As late as the 1960s, there were still people up here, where it gets to 20 below, ordering cars without heaters. I doubt that they could get a car without heater after that.
                              My observation was tongue-in-cheek, Gary.

The underhood shot shows what appear to be the small tubes for the defroster high up on the firewall, no longer being used. So the car undoubtedly had a Climatizer before it was "improved" with a SBC. The single looped heater hose is the giveaway. BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                              X