Questions about Canadian Built 2R Trucks and their Engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Canadian Built 2R Trucks and their Engines

The records indicate that Studebaker built approximately 6550 2R series trucks at the Canadian plant from '49 to '53. They were identified by the H in front of the VIN number, like HR5-2563 as an example. I notice that the 2R series 170 truck engine numbers for Canada were similarly identified with an H at the front and they ranged from H1R-001 to H1R-6576 according to the SDC records. So my questions are:

1. Did all Canadian built 2R trucks get 170 engines?
    2. If so is it safe to assume that the last four digits of the trucks VIN should be close to the last 4 digits of the engine number? I assume there were more engines build because some might fail during the initial period of ownership and need replacing.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone that has a Canadian built 2R truck and if you think your engine is original, how far apart are the VIN and engine numbers.

Can really only answer the first question. The only trucks built in the Studebaker Hamilton plant were 2R5s with the Champion engine. All other post-War models sold in Canada were built in South Bend. (Studebaker also built trucks in Walkerville, Ontario until December 1934.)

You are on to something WRT the Canadian serial and engine numbers matching, or close to it. The parts book shows the starting numbers of the Canadian 3R trucks as serial HR-6601 and engine H1R-6576 -- very close to each other. Studebaker rounded up their starting vehicle numbers each year to xx01, so it's entirely possible that the vehicle and engine numbers on some Canadian 2R5s matched exactly. That said, engines were not pulled from stock in the numerical order, but vehicle serial plates WERE attached in production order -- so some variances are likely.

Also, in some years, a very small percentage of vehicle serial numbers were wasted or not used for various reasons, so the highest serial number is sometimes a few numbers higher than total production.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

I owned HR5-719, a 1949 2R5, from 1977 to 1991. It had its original 170 cu.in. engine. While I no longer have a record of the engine number, I don't remember it as necessarily being very close to the serial number. As stated above, engine numbers started at H1R-001. Serial numbers started at HR5-101, so even if production had been matched (which didn't happen) there still would be a 100 number difference.
      Bill Jarvis

Comment

Originally posted by Greenstude View Post
        I owned HR5-719, a 1949 2R5, from 1977 to 1991. It had its original 170 cu.in. engine. While I no longer have a record of the engine number, I don't remember it as necessarily being very close to the serial number. As stated above, engine numbers started at H1R-001. Serial numbers started at HR5-101, so even if production had been matched (which didn't happen) there still would be a 100 number difference.
        Bill, I'm pretty sure the VIN numbers started HR5-001. At least the research I have done says as much. Otherwise there would have been more trucks built than engines.

Interested in anyone else that has a Canadian 2R5 truck with a 170, and if the last 4 digits of the VIN and engine numbers differ by much.

Comment

I owned a Canadian 1953 2R5 pick up with the 169 cu in 6, I don't remember the engine number nor the serial number. In B.C., up to about 1975 vehicles were registered using only the engine numbers, there was no VINs. However most early engine registered vehicles were reassigned Vehicle Identification (serial) Numbers, about 1980 I as notified by the Motor Vehicle Branch that my vehicle registration (engine number) will be replaced with the vehicle serial number. Just a side note on the 53 truck, the original engine 169 - 6 had the starter motor on the right side with the oil fill in a rear most location where the starter is located on most 169s. I had acquired a second 53 pickup for parts and the engine was also a 169 - 6 however the starter is on the left side, I still have that engine today engine number HIR 2791. Not sure if the "I" is a "one" but that is on the block.

Comment

Working...
          X