Front end ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front end ID

Ok, I’m thinking the hood is 57-61 Hawk, two holes for mounting the scoop. How about the two small grilles with the round park lamps?Click image for larger version

Name:	26A68F69-C006-4580-B137-1DA3F23BA6C2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	1759852The body is a 53 Commander 4H.

Park/turn lights 59-61.
    Bo

Comment

Are the grilles correct Bo?

Comment

The Side Grilles and flat Panels could be '56-'57 with NO holes for the Egg Crate Grille Inserts or '58 to '61 with holes, no close up pic, so you have to get closer.

Either way, it's a Hawk front clip on a earlier C or K, does not matter. Get the Serial Number on the Door Post to I.D. the Car.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

4H-C5 5030 on the firewall, 8314914 on the door. Would the fenders be Hawk also? The car was sold to the previous owner, who passed in 2004, as a 1956 Power Hawk.

Comment

A 1953 Commander "C" Body, Regal Coupe, built in South Bend.
            Starting 1953 Commander Serial # was: 8,290,001.

If original, the steel Dash should make it very clear, it's NOT a Hawk!
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hard to tell from the picture, but I suspect that the side grilles are also 59-61. If you could take a closer more detailed picture it would certainly help, as the early grill panels are straight/smooth, whereas the 59-61 have a small dimple where the park/turn signal (bullet) assembly fits into and bolts in. Also, if you could take a better picture of the top of the hood. If this car is being passed off as a 56 Hawk, the hood may very well be the hard to find and one year only 56 hood.

Given the serial number finding, the car appears to be a hodge podge of different parts, put together car........ I have a 60 Hawk that had 56 hood and side grilles, 58 fenders, 62 decklid and 61 fins. looked nice, but was done with what ever parts the PO could find to replace the rusty/bad parts.
              Last edited by Bo Markham; 12-17-2018, 07:04 PM.
              Bo

Comment

I know by the numbers the car originated as a 53 Commander. The man I’m negotiating with inherited it from his grandfather who bought it in 2004 apparently thinking it was a 56 Power Hawk. It is advertised as the Commander that’s what drew me in, but I saw so many discrepancies.Click image for larger version

Name:	17512126-DCCA-4653-9C7B-2E3F5305A7DF.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	1724677I’ve been trying to ascertain what it would take to make it a correct 53 Commander again if I decided to buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
                  I know by the numbers the car originated as a 53 Commander. The man I’m negotiating with inherited it from his grandfather who bought it in 2004 apparently thinking it was a 56 Power Hawk. It is advertised as the Commander that’s what drew me in, but I saw so many discrepancies.[ATTACH=CONFIG]77611[/ATTACH]I’ve been trying to ascertain what it would take to make it a correct 53 Commander again if I decided to buy it.
                  From the picture, at least the hood, grilles/parking light assemblies and front bumper.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
                    I’ve been trying to ascertain what it would take to make it a correct 53 Commander again if I decided to buy it.
                    Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    From the picture, at least the hood, grilles/parking light assemblies and front bumper.
                    In the picture, this car appears to have had the entire front clip, including the fenders replaced, with one from a '59 - '61 Hawk. Doing so would also likely require using a radiator and mounting bracket from a similar, if not the same exact, model? Does it still have the original engine and transmission, or were those also replaced with the Hawk components? The picture doesn't show how much of the original interior remains either? Is Does it still have the '53 Commander dash, seat cushions, door panels, door handles, window cranks, rear seat armrest? The more it has, the less it will take!

Mark
                    sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

The most practical, Logical and about $5,000.00 to $10,000.00 less expensive solution (depending on the Interior) ?

Just Drive it!
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I passed on the car, thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
                        X