Fiber glass bonding advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiber glass bonding advice

I am needing a source for a bonding agent to mount 1963 avanti fenders and front clip. I also have a need to bond my hood hinge to the hood on my Packard Hawk. I am wondering what is recommended for this activity.

You're asking about two different materials. Fiberglass is it's own material and bonding is chemical. Bonding steel to steel requires welding.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Go to an auto body supply store and ask for "Corvette panel bonding agent". It's a special "bondo" like stuff made specificly for the job of grafting the upper surrounds to the fenders, and so on. It sort of looks like grey pasty resin mixed with chopped glass and bondo.

Comment

They use to use corvette bond. To day they use a 2 part epoxy bonding glue but you will need a special gun to use it. The auto parts place may have one to rent or loan. This is the way all the new big truck hoods are built or repaired today or any fiberglass parts that are built in pieces. About the same as the metal bonding glues.

Comment

I think you're looking for Fusor products for the fiberglass
          Fusor automotive collision repair adhesives are used for panel bonding, weld bonding and rivet bonding; plastic, finishing or cosmetic repair.
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Not so anymore for steel. There are numerous chemical bonding agents for non structural steel body panels. GM has been "glueing" door hinges to door post for many years.

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
            You're asking about two different materials. Fiberglass is it's own material and bonding is chemical. Bonding steel to steel requires welding.

jack vines
            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
            1950 Champion Convertible
            1950 Champion 4Dr
            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

The packard hawk hood hinge mount plate is also fiberglass that goes from one side to the other, all fiberglass. The riveted hinge bolt mounts are in good shape. I am talking about the full piece that is joined to the hood that has come separated from the hood. The previous owner looks to have tried to glue the part with bondo and it did not hold.
              I was wanting to know what the older fiberglass parts require to attach them to another fiberglass part. I am not sure if the new corvette panels are made of the same type of glass and used something different.
              I did see the squirt gun applicator that has 2 different materials and mixes at the point on the internet but was not sure if that is what is needed on the old glass.
              I am beginning the sanding process on the packard hawk parts cleaning the old bondo off and wanted to be ready to mate them with the right stuff.
              Thanks for any help.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	61lCPtYTUjL._SL1000_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1724676Your local automotive paint supplier should carry this. If you are lucky, they might rent you the applicator gun. Even on steel, it is stronger than weld. On Fiberglass, it is perfect. Use the Vette Panel bond that was recommended earlier as a FILLER, not to structurally glue. Do not use any "bondo" type polyester fillers on any seam.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

jack vines
                  I guess that I am missing what you refer to as steel to steel in the OP question.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

jack vines
                    Packard Hawk Hoods are fiberglass. An interesting note is there is a copper screen imbedded into it for radio static suppression. There should be a contact to the firewall to ground it.
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by cabforward View Post
                      The packard hawk hood hinge mount plate is also fiberglass that goes from one side to the other, all fiberglass. The riveted hinge bolt mounts are in good shape. I am talking about the full piece that is joined to the hood that has come separated from the hood. The previous owner looks to have tried to glue the part with bondo and it did not hold.
                      I was wanting to know what the older fiberglass parts require to attach them to another fiberglass part. I am not sure if the new corvette panels are made of the same type of glass and used something different.
                      I did see the squirt gun applicator that has 2 different materials and mixes at the point on the internet but was not sure if that is what is needed on the old glass.
                      I am beginning the sanding process on the packard hawk parts cleaning the old bondo off and wanted to be ready to mate them with the right stuff.
                      Thanks for any help.
                      You have provided good info to illuminate what you are up against. If you could post some pics it could help some of our more experienced members in providing a good response. I have some experience but have not been in the business in over a decade. Most of my professional experience in dealing with fiberglass applications was in the industrial equipment business. I sold fiberglass chopper guns, spray applicators, pumps, pressure vessels, etc. My personal experience was much more backyard hobby level like patching boats, and some bodywork. My main caution to you is to follow the directions provided with the chemicals/materials you purchase and keep your work clean and free of contamination. Pay special attention to "pot-life" of your mixed materials, and cure times. Also, note that there are two different cure times. One is for when the material has set up long enough to begin to work with it, and the other longer time is for your final finish. The final finish time is when the material has set long enough for complete cure. That is when it has completed all the cure shrinkage over any lap or seam where any new portion of a repair. If you rush this part, it is possible for a line to form in your finish coat of paint along the repair.

Good luck with your projects. Hopefully, once completed, your biggest challenge will be relaxing the big grin etched across your face.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The sides of the hood also has issues with some of the pipe stiffner showing and some of the hand laid glass and clothe cracking away due to rust. Looks like Packard used just plain steel uncoated which will rust. I will try to get pictures tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                        X