1929 Studebaker President 8 coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1929 Studebaker President 8 coupe

I found a partially disassembled "barn find" car. Where can I find information about the possible value. The body is very good, no rust, and the interior is shot. Engine was rebuilt 20 odd years ago but never run.The transmission is just a box with no gears in it. I am looking for an information source to determine if it is worth restoring this car.
    Thank you, Skyrocket

Welcome to the forum.

This forum, Bring a trailer and Ebay seem to be the best market place these days. It is always best to have a good idea what is missing and what needs to be finished. People will want a lot of photos, and details of what was done and how good was it done? Depending on the exact model, those are good cars and can be made to drive around in comfort. You will want to remove the spark plugs and oil up the cylinders and do some checking on things. If you do not have the skills, get someone to help that does. A 'new engine', never run can get frozen from sitting. A Pres 8 costs a lot to go through, so you want to take your time.

A Pres 8 can sell for good money, so be careful with everything, as parts cost good money.

On the drivers side, outside frame rail is an aluminum plate with some data, serial numbers etc. record the data and post it here. any pics of the car will be good too. For example, those numbers will be needed to find parts (maybe a whole transmission)

Comment

Studebaker did not offer a President coupe in '29. Commander and Dictator yes, President no. Need photos and/or numbers (serial or body) to determine what it is.
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I am quite sure the engine is stuck. Intake and exhaust manifolds are off and the spark plug are missing. Can not read the aluminum plate. I have restored other cars but am not familiar with Studebaker cars. The owner said it was a Victoria? I don't think it is a Dictator, as was suggested because the Dictators I have seen did not have 8 cylinder engines. Not sure about the Commander though.

Thank you

Comment

There would be a number (preceded by initials) on a small plate on the firewall which is the body number. That would tell me what it is. Studebaker did have a President Victoria on both the 125" W.B. model FH and the 135" W.B. model FE. Both used the same 336 c.i. five main bearing straight eight. Of course the Commander and Dictator were also available with the smaller eights. In fact in 1929 Studebaker was the largest seller of eight cylinder cars in the world.
          Richard Quinn

Comment

Sent a text to the owner and he is searching for the title which should answer the question of what the car is. I did find a tag that had FH on it and the wheelbase is 125 inches. I will have him check the firewall tag for a number and/or letters. There is a date cast on the block 1/3/29. I am gathering some pictures and will send in another post.

Comment

That 1 is a I. March 29 1929.

Comment

I would also check the wood in the body, as wood rot inside can be a problem.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	file2-26.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	1724682Click image for larger version

Name:	file5-5.jpg
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	1724683Click image for larger version

Name:	file7-2.jpg
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	1724684Click image for larger version

Name:	file-35.jpg
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	1724685Here are some of the pictures I took of the car in question. Thanks

Comment

Looks like a 1928 or 29 commander. Did you get the body tag info? Looks like a 4 gauge dash which would be a commander. Also a tag on the dash will tell the model. Either way it would be a good car to restore.

Comment

Wow. I'd trade my Nova for that.....

Comment

I couldn't see whether it has a sidemount on the driver's side. I just recently acquired a 1929 Commander Victoria. It has been in storage for fourteen years and one piston is still stuck. It doesn'thave any sidemounts, but has the spare on the back of the car. Wheels are wooden spokes. I love it.

Comment

The person in the blue shirt is leaning on the drivers side spare.
                          Gary Sanders
                          Nixa, MO

Comment

Very tiny photos! But it is a Victoria body. Numbers off the firewall would tell us specifically as I stated in response #5. Get the numbers. If a FH it is a '29-30 President on the 125" wheelbase that looked like this (below) when new. FE and FH pretty much identical except the FH had a shorter (by 10') wheelbase.

Click image for larger version

Name:	showroom fldr1 copy.jpg
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1724704
                            Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 12-21-2018, 04:18 PM.
                            Richard Quinn

Comment

That car looks better than I anticipated from your description. Certainly restore able.
                              james r pepper

Comment

Working...
                              X