Neoprene Valve Cover Gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Neoprene Valve Cover Gaskets

I noticed none of the vendors carry these anymore for the V-8s. I put some on a few years back(289, '63 GT Hawk). Since then I picked up some chrome valve covers and was wondering if these work well enough to be re-used? Any opinions appreciated

The Mfg. Felpro, has discontinued the really Great Neoprene Valve Cover Gaskets for: Early V8's, Late V8's and OHV Sixes.
    There MAY be a few Early V8 and Six Cyl. Gaskets left in the System at some Studebaker Vendors.

Yes, clean them well and with Fresh Silicone Sealer on them, they often will seal fine several times.

The new Cork/Neoprene replacements, should work well one time.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I've found, bond the cork/Neoprene gaskets to the rocker cover, let set.
      Put a little oil or grease on the new gasket (head surface), place on the head and snug.

I had one set of these on my Offy rocker covers for over 9 years, with no need/requirement for replacement at any rocker adjustment time. You just need to make sure that they are bonded securely to the rocker cover and are square with the surface (flat).

Mike

Comment

There is no need to panic for the absence of rubber or neoprene valve cover gaskets. The more recently produced rubberized cork valve cover gaskets fit better than the previous ones - no stretching required. These are far superior to the cork gaskets like Victor used to supply, so if that is what you are picturing in your mind, you need to see the newest ones.
        As a Studebaker parts dealer, I have sold quite a few sets of the newest rubberized cork, and all of my customers have been impressed.

Comment

Jerry I don't think anyone is "Picturing" Old Cork Gaskets, certainly not me, I have a stack of the New Cork/Neoprene Gaskets on the shelf here and have sold a few.
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
            There is no need to panic for the absence of rubber or neoprene valve cover gaskets. The more recently produced rubberized cork valve cover gaskets fit better than the previous ones - no stretching required. These are far superior to the cork gaskets like Victor used to supply, so if that is what you are picturing in your mind, you need to see the newest ones.
            As a Studebaker parts dealer, I have sold quite a few sets of the newest rubberized cork, and all of my customers have been impressed.
            Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            Jerry I don't think anyone is "Picturing" Old Cork Gaskets, certainly not me, I have a stack of the New Cork/Neoprene Gaskets on the shelf here and have sold a few.
            Interesting that you guys are vendors and give everything but the price of these "new" gaskets. Unless you are ashamed of what you are charging, how 'bout posting the price? These threads have a date, so if someone comes across the posts years from now, they should understand if the price has increased from earlier times. Just post a price with a disclaimer that shipping cost will vary depending on destination. I don't know of any rule that should cause us not to disclose it. Even a "CASO" like me, might be inspired to buy an extra set or two.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I cut my own from 1/8" sheet cork/neoprene. The aluminum covers do not have a groove to hold the gasket in place, just a flat surface, I rolled out the sheet, applied silicon sealer to the cover surface and place it on the sheet. weight it down until it sets then cut around the edge. repeat on a second layer, (1/4" total thickness). When fully dry, cut the center out. (if you can find 1/4" sheet, you can eliminate second step).when all cut out, use a thin bead of silicon seal and glue cover down to head. I did mine about 3 years ago and still dry as a bone.- Jim

Comment

Here you go...https://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-52-53-...IAAOSwUVhbyldj

jrlemk - "When all cut out, use a thin bead of silicone seal and glue cover down to head."

How do you get the valve covers off, to adjust the valves?...
                Last edited by 345 DeSoto; 12-12-2018, 12:36 PM.

Comment

John, I don't think it's a big secret on the Valve Cover Gasket pricing, pretty much the same everywhere, but neither Jerry or I are trying to Sell things on the Forum Tech or General Forums and no one is even looking for them/asking on this string.

I get $17.00 a Pair WITH the Grommets for '51 to early 1960 straight type, or wavy Late 1960 to 1964 Type Cork/Neoprene Combination current type.

I do see that TWO of the Studebaker Vendors at least, are both showing pictures of the WRONG Gaskets and too many Grommets for the Late 1960 to 1964 Type though, that's a bit scary if THEY don't know the difference!
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 12-12-2018, 02:26 PM.
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

A hacksaw blade with the teeth removed! Slightly sharpen one edge for an inch or so and carefully run it between gasket and head. Comes off pretty easily if you didn't use too much sealer. If you're real careful, you can usually reuse the gasket.- Jim

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      John, I don't think it's a big secret on the Valve Cover Gasket pricing, pretty much the same everywhere, but neither Jerry or I are trying to Sell things on the Forum Tech or General Forums and no one is even looking for them/asking on this string.

I get $17.00 a Pair WITH the Grommets for '51 to early 1960 straight type, or wavy Late 1960 to 1964 Type Cork/Neoprene Combination current type.

I do see that TWO of the Studebaker Vendors at least, are both showing pictures of the WRONG Gaskets and too many Grommets for the Late 1960 to 1964 Type though, that's a bit scary if THEY don't know the difference!
                      StudeRich is correct in that current parts vendors are not going to start a price war on parts on this forum.

Comment

Working...
                      X