Building an alternator bracket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Building an alternator bracket

My 52 Commander came with a broken alternator bracket that was made from a modified generator bracket. I replaced it with a Studebaker bracket, but it was about 3/4" too short for my belt to run true. I kept intending to make a new one, but it was working and we still had not gotten the MIG welder going. The issue became more urgent when the Studebaker part broke into.
    The only instructions I found were on how to convert a generator bracket for an alternator so I decided to build my own version and see how it works. The stock generator bracket is 3/8" thick, the Studebaker bracket is 3/16", so I decided to try 1/4". I think the 1/4" was as thick as I could have bent cold anyway. It was tough, but with a bit of hammering I got it done. I ended up welding the pieces with my oxyacetylene torch. Time will tell how this holds up, but it lines up very well. I made the space for the alternator a bit wide to allow for adjustment with shims if needed, but I got lucky with the fit.
    I took it back off for pictures and some paint. The drawing is a combination of hand drafting and some lettering and touch-up using the Paint program on my computer. I hope it helps someone.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 52-fan; 12-07-2018, 06:35 AM.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

If your welds are good I don't see why that won't work. Nice job.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
      If your welds are good I don't see why that won't work. Nice job.
      It was not my first choice, but I tried to get good penetration and not just brush the top. I don't think I have gas welded anything this thick before. It took a lot of heat to get the puddle to form and flow.
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Actually, what you started with was a original 1963 alternator bracket. There was a weak point, so a reinforced version was created and entered production. So, you could have ordered the improved bracket, 1560438, Studebaker International current catalog, page 217. List price $20.00. I think every ‘63 I ever owned had a cracked or previously repaired bracket on it. All ‘64 cars had the new and improved version. On my ‘63 models, I always installed the new bracket. As a parts dealer, I always keep a couple of new 1560438 brackets in stock.

Comment

Unless the improved version moved the alternator 3/4" further toward the front of the engine it would not have aligned my pulleys. If the original one had enough length to allow drilling holes 3/4" from stock, I might have used one. I think the Studebaker alternator had the mounting tab(s?) placed differently. This one is a one wire that came with the car.
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

On the Stude Alt bracket, you weld about an inch and a half 'L' channel onto the back of it, and drill 1 new hole. Add a gusset if it is a '63. A GM 1 wire will then fit but you have to grind a bit off an ear, and some on the case..... Nice job on the one you made, probably better than a stock one...

Comment

Nice work indeed!!! Cany wait to see the truck. Luck Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
                Nice work indeed!!! Can't wait to see the truck. Luck Doofus
                This is not on the truck. It still has the GM generator/power steering pump combo. This bracket is on the Commander.
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

The Studebaker part was a bit "L" shaped. You've used nice heavy steel but consider adding a gusset along the side.
                  As you know 52-fan I've got the Chevy in my 52 and a lot of the brackets are home made. I thought my alternator bracket was pretty stout, but at higher RPMs it would start to really vibrate. I even threw a belt at the drag strip.
                  I've since braced my design up and all is good. Any maybe you won't be shifting at 6000 RPM. But go sturdy because a tight fan belt spinning does put a good pull on your bracketry.

Comment

I thought about some sort of gusset, but I couldn't decide how/where to do it. Any suggestions?
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

I like your design... but I wonder about the spacing of the tabs & how you hold a thick enough shim in place while inserting the bolt? I am in the process of designing one for a Champion six in my '49 pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Mute View Post
                        I like your design... but I wonder about the spacing of the tabs & how you hold a thick enough shim in place while inserting the bolt? I am in the process of designing one for a Champion six in my '49 pickup.
                        I just measured the width of the mounting tab on the alternator and added a little space for adjustment. I have washers of various thicknesses for shims. Yes the washers are tricky to place if the bracket is mounted. When I mounted the alternator for a trial fit I attached the bracket while on the bench and then bolted the assembly to the manifold. In my case everything lined up on the first try. Sometimes careful measuring pays off.
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Working...
                          X