Packard Hawk AC option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packard Hawk AC option

I am wondering if any packard hawks were produced with an air conditioner?. If not was it something a dealer would install.

According to the October, 1995 Turning Wheels, 14 were equipped with Sutton air conditioning, and two were equipped with Novi trunk-mounted air conditioners at the factory.

Craig

Comment

This might explain the power steering on the back of the generator being on the drivers side of the engine bay. 2 holes about 1.5 diameter in the firewall and the 2 small holes in the transmission tunnel. The ac unit is missing on my car and looks like it would have been located where the generator would normally be located on the passenger side of the engine bay. I cannot find any pictures of this setup.
      Thanks for the help.

Comment

It sounds like it was one of the 14, that setup COULD be Dealer installed, but highly unlikely.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Is it mentioned on the Production Order?

Comment

Here's a folder on a 58 GH with A/C. The system is what would have been installed except for the dash unit, which in this case is a later model and not Studebaker. The compressor of the day was a 2 cylinder Lehigh and the power steering pump is combined with the generator.
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I saw this car when it was up for sale in Sacramento in 1988. Interesting story but this car has some parts that were not in existence during the year of manufacture. This sale ended up in a big lawsuit!
              StudeRick & Johna
              Sacramento CA

1964 GT Hawk, 1963 GT Hawk, 1962 GT Hawk
              1957 Silver Hawk
              1963 Avanti
              1961 Lark Wagon
              1963 Lark Daytona

Comment

I will be getting the order this week to verify

Comment

parts manual plate showing ac parts
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thats it. My compressor and dash box are gone. Is there any suggestion on what to install. Would vintage air work or do I try to find the original stuff that uses wrong freon?
                    The original compressor looks very large.

Comment

Originally posted by cabforward View Post
                      Thats it. My compressor and dash box are gone. Is there any suggestion on what to install. Would vintage air work or do I try to find the original stuff that uses wrong freon?
                      That mostly depends on what you want from the car. Are you looking to restore it or just to make it a comfortable driver?
                      The third choice is to remove all of the remaining A/C parts and have a "normal" Packard Hawk.
                      I believe that doing the A/C correctly, or as near as you can get, would yield the highest dollar value.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by cabforward View Post
                        The older Lehigh compressors are both large and rare, which means getting parts for would be an issue. They are also quite heavy and use R-12. You might find a 60's Chrysler V-2 compressor which almost look alike, but I think your chance of getting to a functional authentic system is going to be a stretch.
                        64 GT Hawk (K7)
                        1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Hi this is Arnold Goldman I did see some comments re my brother Stan; I should have some AC parts for sale; feel free to contact me; the parts are in PA Tnx

Comment

Originally posted by 58pachawk View Post
                            Hi this is Arnold Goldman I did see some comments re my brother Stan; I should have some AC parts for sale; feel free to contact me; the parts are in PA Tnx
                            Arnold - Welcome to the SDC Forum! I think that we were last together at a dinner in (I think) Mass.
                            You should be able to help out a lot of Packard Hawk owners.

EDIT: After further thought, I believe that it was at the RI SDC International Convention that we last had dinner together.
                            Last edited by studegary; 09-21-2021, 11:09 AM.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

• 58pachawk
                              58pachawk commented
                              Editing a comment
                              sorry think i hit sent anyway the parts are in PA near Doylestown with a fellow member Bob Schopf Tnx feel free to contact me

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                            According to the October, 1995 Turning Wheels, 14 were equipped with Sutton air conditioning, and two were equipped with Novi trunk-mounted air conditioners at the factory.

Craig
                            2.7 % of the Packard Hawk production had factory A/C. I do not remember seeing any.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                            X