Tuning problems in a Philco AM Radio (S-4927) in a 1950 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning problems in a Philco AM Radio (S-4927) in a 1950 Champion

Hi all! I just picked up a 1950 Champion, first time in the Studebaker world for me!

While others take care of different essentials, I am working on the radio.

After getting RadioRoy's excellent advice in removing the bezel, I realized the tuning knob has a missing broken piece that goes on the shaft within the unit itself. I collected the broken parts and they are in a photo series here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/c5GspJMrwTfkg2H66

The preset buttons work - when pressed with considerable force they do in fact go to the preset position, however, none of them can be tuned, and of course with the missing broken piece in the pic, I can not manual tune either. The tuning slider moves freely, the gears roll nicely, but always springs back tight into place up closest to the push buttons. Can anyone help guide me to a possible repair here or someone i can talk to? Happy to provide whatever other info you need!

Patrick

The parts I described in our email are still in the back of the manual tuning knob, so that is a good thing. Most of the time they are missing.

The push buttons are set by turning the clear portion of the button after it has been pushed in. If they do not turn, you can pull the entire button off and see if the resistance is in the tuning shaft or in the button itself. Either way, lubrication and patience is necessary. Do not force anything. The push button tips are unique to this radio and replacements are not available anywhere. At least, I have not found any in the last ten years or so.

What typically happens is that the mechanism gets stuck from rust or hardened lubricant, then someone forces it and something breaks. Often the tiny steel rings that act as stops get stripped off.

Thet mechanism works by a screw pulling it in one direction and a spring pushing in the opposite direction. The crud/dirt/rust/grease combination get more stiff than the spring pressure, someone forces it, and then it breaks.

If worst comes to worse, I have another of these mechanisms that you can buy for parts and make a good one from the two.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 11-16-2018, 09:56 AM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

OR, pack this puppy up and ship to RadioRoy along with a bucket of greenbacks for repair and shipping costs back to you.
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Nope. I never touch those 7 button models. Not worth the aggravation, just to have the buttons and manual tuning fail again. A poor design IMHO. I like the idea of a bucket of greenbacks, though.

Patrick is young and energetic. He will fix it. I will assist as I can and offer wisdom and experience.

Thanks for the recommendation anyway.
        Last edited by RadioRoy; 11-17-2018, 08:43 AM.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

Patrick is young and energetic. He will fix it.
          I bet he will! ASSuming I got the right bonafides, I am sure the professor can fix it.

It always amazes me how much mechanical engineering effort went into these push-button radio preset mechanisms. It all seems so over-designed and useless somehow. If folks back when were anything like me or my parents (who came of age in the 50s but I remember their habits from the 70s onward, then the radio stays on the same station about 98% of the time anyway.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Patrick came over today and we assessed his radio, found a few bad parts and were pleasantly surprised when we got it half way working. All of the major, deal breaking components are serviceable and Patrick has a plan of action.

I also cautioned him about the self adjusters in the car's brakes and to not let the shop supervisor toss them out.

It was fun meeting you, Patrick.
            Last edited by RadioRoy; 12-09-2018, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X