1949 Champion Can Get You into the Hobby for Cheap $950

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1949 Champion Can Get You into the Hobby for Cheap $950

I saw this Craigslist ad and called about it last night. It was a bit humorous when the seller answered. The first thing he said with a chuckle was "why would anyone want to buy a Studebaker?" I told him why I like them, then he said "but the thing is if you put headlights on the rear, you wouldn't know if it's coming or going."

When I saw the ad, the first thing I though was this is too good to be true, or it's that rare hidden jewel that the owner doesn't know the true value, so today I went to check it out. It's a 4 door, and it does have rust, although not as bad as many. I saw a rust repair from many years ago on the left rear fender. The wheel well and trunk corner has rust. The car hasn't been messed with, but shows it's age. This is a car that could get someone into the hobby for not much money. If I bought it I would lube all the moving parts, install a battery, and drive it just the way it is for an everyday car.

You say that it is a "4 door" and the description says that it is a "2 door".
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yes, I don't understand how he didn't know it was a 4 door, or that it had obvious rust in the trunk corner as well as a couple other spots. I just think this is an ideal car to get someone started in Studebakers, where they can't afford a high priced one.

The trip wasn't a waste for me, as I stopped at a second hand store on the way home and bought a Sun timing light for only $5, a drill key for $1, and a grinding wheel for $1. I also bought an automatic wire stripper for only $4, like this ebay link.
      Now I can check the timing on my Studebakers, since I can't find my other timing light.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sun Timing Light 45.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	1724363

Comment

Actually for $950, I wish I was closer....

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
          Actually for $950, I wish I was closer....
          Winter has already set in. If you are a chilly willy like me, you probably don't wish you were closer.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I did forget to mention that this Studebaker is parked out of the way, and the guy has lots of land and 13 horses, so I'm sure leaving it in place over the winter would be no problem. I did notice the left rear wheel had only one nut holding it in place, so apparently someone didn't know the left side has left hand threads. I should have looked closer to see if any of the studs were snapped from forcing the nut the wrong way for removal.

Comment

Factory turn signals!
              KURTRUK
              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Boy howdy! I heartily agree that this looks like a might fine gem of a car for the potential Stude lover that doesn't have a lot of jack in their jeans. Also, "Why would anyone want to buy a Studebaker?" Oh well...some people don't know what they're missing out on.
                Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Tom How ratty is the interior? Could a guy sit in it without a spring going somewhere it shouldn't? I may have to go check this out.

Comment

I always look at cars like that and do the math in my head of what I could part it out for. Consider it plan B in case there are issues that would prohibit it from being a driver. Never pay more that the sum of the parts
                    Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                      Tom How ratty is the interior? Could a guy sit in it without a spring going somewhere it shouldn't? I may have to go check this out.
                      Yes, the seat has some wear, but is fine as a driver. It doesn't smell of mice either. From my brief checking it over, I'd say bolt up the left rear wheel, stick in a battery and drive it. (hopefully)
                      It looks like the kind of car that got parked because it was out of date, and they bought a new car. I think I did mention that the engine isn't stuck.

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
                        Factory turn signals!
                        Wow! You are Right, that IS a Big Deal on these early cars with separate Parking lights, it's a big Deal to replace Both Chrome Grille Bars to get them!
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The rear license holder has a steel plate with the name "JACKSON STREET GARAGE Anoka, so I assume this was a used car dealership.

Does anyone know anything about Jackson Street Garage?

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
                            Factory turn signals!
                            All cars delivered to Minnesota after June/July 1948 were required to have electric turn signals.

Curiously, California seemed to discourage turn signals, at least that is the story I heard. Something about the sunshine being so bright that the electric signals were hard to see,
                            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                            X