Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you spell that [Studebaker] for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you spell that [Studebaker] for me?

I'm riding with Ted Harbit to take his 1961 Studebaker 6E Tomato Hauler to The Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals this weekend in Rosemont IL. Ted's truck, with The Tomato (his R2 1963 Lark Regal 2-door) on it, will be displayed with other notables in the Stevens Convention Center lobby, through which everyone attending the show will pass, to bait the hook before attendees enter the show proper.

Because I have a turnpike EZ-Pass, we want to use it on Ted's truck to go through toll booths on the way to the show.

So I call the Turnpike Commission to register Ted's truck by license number and year/make/color, so it will be authorized to use my EZ-Pass.

The nice lady asks me for the year/make/color. When I tell her it's a 1961 Studebaker, she politely asked me if I'd spell that for her! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I have run into that one as well. And the next question is often "who makes that?".
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

At least she asked, rather then going with the second "A" as many do. I guess if you listen to how most of us pronounce the word, the middle "E" could easily be an "A". I have bought some parts rather cheap due to sellers misspelling the name on ads. Saw one the other day for a Cevrolay.
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

The spelling is a little bit odd. If you sound it out phonetically, the pronunciation would be "Stood-baker", but the most common pronunciation I hear is more like "Stood-a-baker", there are also those who say it more like "Stoodie-baker", and a few more derogatory versions, that don't deserve any mention! Us Stude owners are a very small minority, most people under age 50 aren't even familiar with the word and never have any need to spell it. Why should it be such a shock, if your asked to?

Mark
        sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

I've heard mine called a Rudebaga.....

Comment

Seems the pronunciation of 'Studebaker' and of 'Stude' is a bit regional. Here in central Michigan for over 60 years, my family tree of proud Studebaker owners pronounced it "Stood-e-baker" since the 1930's or earlier. but I am the final one in that line, ...unless my son or grandson ever decide to take up ownership. But then both of them were brought up acquainted with my 'Stood-e-baker's'. 'Stude' is some days 'Stewed' and other days 'Stewed-ee' depending upon the weather and mood I'm in.
            Doesn't really matter around here much anymore as I'm the only person I know of in a hundred miles that owns, and regularly talks about Studebaker's no matter how it's pronounced.

Comment

Working...
            X