1962 Hawk Rattles Abundant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1962 Hawk Rattles Abundant

Do I have a lemon or were they notorious for rattles. It is a very disappointing car at present even though I have taken great pains to rebuild the car. It is not a frame-off but may have been for all I have done to it; sure does look pretty though. chet445

Hey!...welcome to the madness! Don't know your age, so I have no clue as to your experience level, perspective, or expectations. But, you have a 56-year-old vehicle. Unlike today's unibody robot welded assemblies, you have a machine that is a compilation of many assorted components. While some are welded and riveted pretty solid, many others are bolted and screwed together. Some components are even stapled. Through the years, things loosen, flex, deteriorate, crumble, and rust. Much of the components were supplied from manufacturers who figured out a way to offer the LOWEST BID to get the sale. Remember, there was almost NO 5-year 100,000-mile warranty on any vehicle back then. In fact, you were lucky to get a two-year financing deal (with substantial down payment/trade-in) and a guarantee that offered maybe 1200/2400 miles (or whichever came first.)

I don't think anyone ever expected anyone to have the car for anything over a half-century later!? On the Hawks...very long heavy doors, hinge pin wear, cat whiskers, window channel felt, crank window rollers, gears, all subject to wear, lack of lubrication, moisture exposure, and rust. Heavy hoods, prop rods, grille fasteners, latches, etc., from front to the rear bumper. Even the rubber pieces sandwiched between the body and frame mounts, will deteriorate and contract over time. A vintage car is NEVER FINISHED by being restored. It is only FINISHED when it is scrapped. Just like our bodies need to be maintained, so it is with a vintage car. Like keeping our hair trimmed, nails clipped, a good diet (fuel), required medications and having a check-up (tune-up), these old vehicles require constant care (tinkering) and sometimes, major surgery.

For some of us, that is the challenge we accept and enjoy. However, if you sink a lot of time, effort, and expense without experiencing some kind of euphoria, excitement, and accomplishment...then either an adjustment of expectations is in order or perhaps a realization that this hobby is not your cup of tea.

My opinion on these things is that you find these annoyances and attack them one at the time. Don't hesitate to improve on components if you find a newer item that will do a better job. Especially on unseen items like rubber grommets, nuts, bolts, insulation, etc. You have one huge advantage of rebuilding a vehicle that the guy on the original assembly line did not have. You can take your time and not have to keep up with the line speed!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by chet445 View Post
      Do I have a lemon or were they notorious for rattles. It is a very disappointing car at present even though I have taken great pains to rebuild the car. It is not a frame-off but may have been for all I have done to it; sure does look pretty though. chet445
      Yes, some rattles can be expected, but most can either be eliminated or reduced. If you describe what is rattling, or least the area that the rattles are coming from, we could probably offer more help. The most common areas on a Hawk are the side windows and the hood cross rod that may sound like an under dash rattle and can be cured with the proper placement of the rubber bumpers on it.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

When I ht a bump with my 63 GT it's still rattling 1/2 hr. later I repair what I can & ignore the rest.

Comment

In 64 I bought a 62 GT. I loved the car but decided to move on because of all the shaking and rattling on rough roads. Now I am old and deaf and it doesn't bother me.
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

On my GT I took the door glass out....replaced all the seals/weather striping.....reassembled and tighten up.....made a big difference.....!
            Lou Van Anne
            62 Champ
            64 R2 GT Hawk
            79 Avanti II

Comment

I found the first reduction in noises in my '63 GT Hawk to be when I installed Michelin Radials on 7" wide mag wheels (circa 1967). It was a different car altogether in both noise reduction as well as gross improvements in handling traits.
              I'm restoring a 1957 Packard Clipper Wagon in Arizona during my winter there and I used modern sound deadening and self sticking insulation in the entire interior, including roof, doors, floors, quarter panels etc. Its an amazing improvement.
              Bill

Comment

Wasn't it Charlie Wilson of GM fame in the 50's who said, he thinks "planned obsolescence is progress".....if GM a built cars to planned obsolescence, the rest of the industry was sure to follow.

Comment

They rattle. All hardtops rattle. Like they said, you can take the windows apart and try to improve fitment and add a bit of sound proofing and it all helps but it cannot be eliminated. My 64 isn't bad at all but had doors all apart and replaced those pesky little rollers and felt. Also put sound deadener on doors and under floors. And I have found that it really helps if you take your hearing aid off.

Comment

I guess I'm stuck with a car that rattles. I've rebuilt 2 Bullet Noses, a '62 wagon, 65 hd top, '53 C/K and never had the rattles this thing has. I've also rebuilt 3 '41 Cadillac's, '57 Cadillac and a '41 LaSalle. Never were those cars rattling machines. This '62 Hawk I have replaced all the rubber rebuilt all the windows/doors replacing the rollers cat whiskers and cleaned/greased the window regulators. Also, the body mounts have been replaced and used sound proofing on the firewall, floors and doors. Complete new front end rebuild and all shocks are new. I think I'm stuck with a noisy 1962 Hawk: a real disappointment for sure.

Comment

To boil it down to basics, American cars of the era rattled more than their foreign cousins and to amplify further, station wagons rattled the most closely followed by hardtops. Two door coupes/sedans, (at least to me), rattled the least...

Comment

I have several hardtop Studebakers that do not rattle, including a 1963 GT, a 1956 GH, a 1955 Speedster and a 1958 Packard Hawk. My 1955 Commander coupe does rattle - but I know it is only the side butterknife trim attached by my homemade plastic clips. (I thought I would be clever and eliminate future rusty clips. Now I just can't be bothered to change them to metal ones). All sources of rattles on Studebakers can be found and eliminated if you choose to do so. They are all very solid cars.

Comment

I thought that was what a up grade on the radio was for. Just keep turning it up until you can no longer hear the rattles.

Comment

Amen SWValcon I'll just have to be patient; thanks for all the input.

Comment

Originally posted by chet445 View Post
                              I guess I'm stuck with a car that rattles. I've rebuilt 2 Bullet Noses, a '62 wagon, 65 hd top, '53 C/K and never had the rattles this thing has. I've also rebuilt 3 '41 Cadillac's, '57 Cadillac and a '41 LaSalle. Never were those cars rattling machines. This '62 Hawk I have replaced all the rubber rebuilt all the windows/doors replacing the rollers cat whiskers and cleaned/greased the window regulators. Also, the body mounts have been replaced and used sound proofing on the firewall, floors and doors. Complete new front end rebuild and all shocks are new. I think I'm stuck with a noisy 1962 Hawk: a real disappointment for sure.
                              With all your experience you should be able to figure it out. Have patience. We should be asking you. My 63 GT does not rattle but I have secured a couple rattles it once had. cheers jimmijim
                              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
                              X