Imprinting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imprinting

It occurred to me that I was some what interested in Studebakers reading about Granatelli and his records. What really caused me to "imprint" like a gosling was the 64 Hawk that I saw one Sat when mother dragged us off to a big box store ( she loved Walmart,too!) circa 1966. It was gorgeous. My psychologist friend says it all has to do with dangerously high hormone levels.....but now, at 72, I finally have a 64 GT like the one in the parking lot years ago. And it is a nice ride! When did you "imprint"?

At Pabich Motors in Roselle, Illinois.. 1961.
    Sat in the back seat of a Blaze Red 1961 Hawk..
    Stayed in the back seat all the way home...
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

My BIL came in the house and said those new 53 Studebakers are really beautiful so I started to look for one. I have been hooked since I first saw one. Of course I was set up for that by the fact that the first car I remember was the family 39 Commander. By 53 my dad had moved up to Chryslers but I still loved Studes.
      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
      50 Champion 2 door*
      53 Commander K Auto*
      53 Commander K overdrive*
      55 President Speedster
      62 GT 4Speed*
      63 Avanti R1*
      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
        It occurred to me that I was some what interested in Studebakers reading about Granatelli and his records. What really caused me to "imprint" like a gosling was the 64 Hawk that I saw one Sat when mother dragged us off to a big box store ( she loved Walmart,too!) circa 1966. It was gorgeous. My psychologist friend says it all has to do with dangerously high hormone levels.....but now, at 72, I finally have a 64 GT like the one in the parking lot years ago. And it is a nice ride! When did you "imprint"?
        Are you from Arkansas Jeffry?

Comment

Dad had a nice 53 loewy coupe starting about 1955, loved that car! Still do. Best ever sedan or volumn production .....personal luxury car? Sort of a 4 seat T bird before there were any t birds.
          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

When my brother sent home (from the U.S.A.F.) pictures of his '54 Commander Starliner, then his '56 Golden Hawk. This was in 1961.
            -Dwight
            Last edited by Dwight FitzSimons; 11-12-2018, 11:56 AM.

Comment

It started in 1947 when I saw a 1947 five passenger coupe (later called a Starlight). This was greatly strengthened in 1953 when a family friend bought a new 1953 Commander Starliner (that I later bought from them) and to a lesser exent, a friend's parents bought a new 1953 Champion Starlight. A neighbor bought a new 1957 Silver Hawk to replace his Hudson, but that car never interested me, even though I later bought a 1957 Golden Hawk.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Backseat in my parents -55 Commander Starlight from -61 to -63, strong memories that still lives on in my brain being 1-3 years "old" at the time...

Comment

Back seat of my Dad's 54 Champion coupe...when I was young enough to remember. Just about 56 years ago to the day (today is my birthday) my parents brought me home from the hospital in that car making it the first car I had a ride in. From the back seat I clearly remember the turn signal indicators on the IP...delicate little art-deco-ish arrows. From the front seat I was fixated by the hood scoop that my Dad installed to clear the carb of the transplanted Stude v-8 with the carb that stuck through the hood. The scoop was a tidy little unit that came off of a Ford dump truck of the era. The turn indicators are still there, the hood scoop long gone and the car now resides in my garage. cheers, Junior
                  sigpic
                  1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Cool!..............
                    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I came home from the hospital in a 56 Golden Hawk. I've been doomed from the start!
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948
                      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

My parents had a 50 Champion until I was 5 years old. I guess it made a favorable impression.
                        "In the heart of Arkansas."
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

My dad was a Buick man, but that story in the summer of 61 (I think it was the date) regarding the new Hawk Studebaker would be introducing, sent be into the Studebaker camp forever.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW that story was in Motor Trend

Comment

Mine started right here...Dad hired on at the Studebaker dealer when we moved to Clinton, TN. when I was 5 (late 1952), and bought this used car and brought it home as our very 1st car. That is my Mom standing by it the day he brought it home. I spent a lot of time with him at that and 3 other dealerships in Knoxville.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by j.byrd View Post
                              Mine started right here...Dad hired on at the Studebaker dealer when we moved to Clinton, TN. when I was 5 (late 1952), and bought this used car and brought it home as our very 1st car. That is my Mom standing by it the day he brought it home. I spent a lot of time with him at that and 3 other dealerships in Knoxville.
                              One nice thing about that period photo is that it shows the rear fender welting, on that light color five passenger coupe, to be body color and not black.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X