master cylinder related parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: master cylinder related parts

The single reservoir master cylinder is going out on my 62 Lark Daytona hardtop (4-wheel drum, non-power brakes). I'm planning to upgrade to a split system master cylinder, keeping the 4-wheel drums for now. I've already purchased a new 1561611 master cylinder for a 64V split system with 4 drums and non-power brakes (yes, I know the 1561611 uses different size tube fittings - I'm replacing the existing MC tube and adding the second one for the rear, so I'll take care of the fittings at the same time).

I saw in the parts book that the 1561611 uses a 1561602 brake pedal to MC push rod, a 1561610 rod retainer, and 1561609 stop washer. The complete MC should have included the stop washer.

I checked Studebaker International and Stephen Allen's, but neither one has the rod or the retainer. The Studebaker's West online search comes up nil as well.

Questions:

Will the 1553419 push rod that is currently installed with the old MC work with the 1561611 MC without damaging it?

If not, does anyone have a NOS or used 1561602 rod and 1561610 retainer? I'd prefer new/NOS.

Thanks.
    Mark L

With Studebakers West, I’ve had better luck calling Carl rather than using the website. FWIW.

Comment

The Single M/C Push Rod is the Wrong Length for a Dual M/C, so no it will not operate correctly.

This conversion requires used parts from a '63-'66 Manual Drum Brakes, Parts Car.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Today I called Studebakers West and spoke with Carl. The computer inventory was showing he did have the retainer but not the push rod. When he went to look, there were no retainers, but he did find the push rod I needed. Probably better that way, since I can probably come up with a substitute for the retainer.
        Mark L

Comment

Woo hoo!, I think I'm in business. Today I received the 1561602 pushrod I ordered from Studebakers West. When I went to compare it to the new master cylinder, I found that not only did the new 1561611 MC include a new 1561609 stop washer, but it also had a new 1561610 retainer for the pushrod. When put the end of the pushrod into the hole in the MC piston, the groove in the pushrod for the tips of the retainer lined up perfectly with the location of the retainer.
          Mark L

Comment

My MC has also failed (slowly goes to floor as I press brake pedal). I have a '57 President Classic with 4 drums, single reservoir OEM MC and a Hydrovac. I was considering a dual reservoir set up but was told that it would not be compatible with my Hydrovac. Am I stuck with the single type reservoir if I want to keep my Hydrovac? Any recommendations would be most appreciated.

Comment

Ken, check Jim Turner's Website at: "Turner Brake" for contact info and Talk to Jim about his best solution (or Advice, meaning: forget it!) for adding a Dual M/C, Proportioning Valves, Residual Valves, more Plumbing, a Stop Light Switch, an auxiliary Reservoir, tubing for same etc. under the floor on a Hydrovac, Drum Brake Stude., not for the faint of heart, but doable.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 01-20-2019, 12:13 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thank you StudeRich, I will give him a call.

Comment

Working...
                X