PDA

View Full Version : High dollar shipping from Studebaker vendor

orecrush
11-06-2018, 09:08 PM
Dose anyone feel ripped off on shipping charges from Studebaker international The last few items I ordered were way over the top :mad:

64studeavanti
11-06-2018, 11:05 PM
For some reason shipping has gotten ridiculous. For example, I ordered a cut sheet of plexiglass for one of my projects. The cost of the plexiglass was $125. The shipping from Miami to Tampa was quoted at $365. Guess I am on my way to Miami.

In another case, I was ordering a window replacement for a motorhome. The cost of the window about $500. The cost to ship - $700!

bob40
11-06-2018, 11:56 PM
Give a example. What was weight and box size and zip.
You can also also reverse the above info and see how much it would cost to ship to SI.
Don’t forget to add the cost of the box and packing materials. Don’t worry about adding in anything for your time.

GrumpyOne
11-07-2018, 12:06 AM
Most of the increases with shipping have been due to rising oil prices. It will be interesting to see what happens now that the price of oil has taken a big dump over the past few weeks closing yesterday at $61 & change down from a high of $75!

bensherb
11-07-2018, 12:22 AM
Dose anyone feel ripped off on shipping charges from Studebaker international The last few items I ordered were wayover the top :mad:

Yes, they charged me $15 to ship their catalog to me. It wasn't recently though, about 2 years ago. With shipping costs like that it's not worth buying from them.

StudeRich
11-07-2018, 02:27 AM
On smaller, cheaper Items if you do not request USPS you will likely get UPS for more cost, but with better insurance which protects both the Seller and the Buyer which COULD be why it happens. ;)

dpson
11-07-2018, 05:44 AM
I don't get it, just got a 4 new snow tires thru Amazon way below what they cost locally and they shipped for free. As we all know they didn't actually ship for free (UPS or FEDEX got paid), so they must build the shipping in the price of the tires.

TWChamp
11-07-2018, 06:13 AM
I don't get it either on the shipping. I bought a J-7 Champion spark plug on ebay for $1.50 with free shipping. It costs me $3.60 to mail a smaller and lighter package than the spark plug, which came in a small padded envelope. So, how can this guy sell and mail a spark plug for less than half what the postage alone costs me?

64studeavanti
11-07-2018, 07:28 AM
It is confusing. I recently got back into ham radio and have been purchasing a lot of gear. Most of it has been with 'free' shipping. To say the shipping estimates for the plexiglass and window is shocking is an understatement. Perhaps, some of the larger retailers have 'special' deals with the shippers and the shippers are making up the difference on the one-offs.

bumpkinvilledano
11-07-2018, 07:30 AM
I don't get it, just got a 4 new snow tires thru Amazon way below what they cost locally and they shipped for free. As we all know they didn't actually ship for free (UPS or FEDEX got paid), so they must build the shipping in the price of the tires.

In Amazon's case, they have a negotiated volume discount with the shipping companies and the USPS. Many large companies do this. Example; I use McMaster Carr for a lot of purchases for our company. As there is a local distribution center nearby, I sometimes use "will call" to pick up an item. There are ALWAYS at least 6 UPS trailers being loaded at any time.

Commander Eddie
11-07-2018, 09:06 AM
Here at the school where I work we ship all the time and, because we use a postage meter to calculate and generate postage, we get a lower rate.

Mike Sal
11-07-2018, 09:33 AM
I just recently finished a repair to my dodge truck (camshaft / lifters) hemi engine. I had to order a lot of parts from a variety of vendors and my sole criteria for all of them was free shipping.
Mike Sal

altair
11-07-2018, 10:21 AM
Some less scrupulus vendors will ship a part or parts that are faultily advertised as new or will or should fit for 1/4 of what other vendors are charging with the shipping price 2-3 times the average. If you are not satisfied they will gladly refund the the value of the part, do the math...

orecrush
11-07-2018, 11:00 AM
[The item I ordered was 8 little plugs for the v8 rocker arm shafts The weight is equal to app. 8 pennies The box size is 5 in. x 5 in. packing is paper

QUOTE=bob40;1134299]Give a example. What was weight and box size and zip.
You can also also reverse the above info and see how much it would cost to ship to SI.
Don’t forget to add the cost of the box and packing materials. Don’t worry about adding in anything for your time.[/QUOTE]

Captain Billy
11-07-2018, 11:01 AM
Just ordered a water pump this morning from Rockauto, the shipping component is only $15.73 Canadian. Will be delivered to me by days end Friday Nov. 9th here in Canada...nothing to complain about on this.

orecrush
11-07-2018, 11:12 AM
To give everyone an idea of shipping cost The little plugs cost $6.00 UPS shipping was $22.30 looks like someone put the extra money in there pocket I never had a problem with UPS until now

5brown1
11-07-2018, 11:13 AM
[QUOTE=orecrush;1134344][The item I ordered was 8 little plugs for the v8 rocker arm shafts The weight is equal to app. 8 pennies The box size is 5 in. x 5 in. packing is paper

What was the shipping charge?

Dick Steinkamp
11-07-2018, 11:13 AM
For some reason shipping has gotten ridiculous.

I receive items about weekly and ship weekly via UPS and USPS. I have not noticed any increases in rates over the last couple of years either in practice or through published rate increases (fuel surcharges). In fact, I see more and more "free" freight as larger shippers can get better and better rates from the carriers that enable them to effectively hide shipping charges in the price of the item.

Give a example. What was weight and box size and zip.
Don’t forget to add the cost of the box and packing materials. Don’t worry about adding in anything for your time.

Great idea! Compute the shipping cost. If the actual charge was significantly higher than what you compute, confront SI with the results. Their response will tell you a lot. If the computed charge is about equal to the actual, it might be that we are just used to so much "free" freight from Amazon, eBay and others.

On smaller, cheaper Items if you do not request USPS you will likely get UPS for more cost, but with better insurance which protects both the Seller and the Buyer which COULD be why it happens. ;)

I don't see any "better" insurance from UPS. It could be that some have better results with claims against UPS vs USPS (or visa versa), but the insurance is pretty much the same.

I felt years ago that USPS could "own" the home delivery of packages. They had (and have) a better infrastructure of doing this than UPS, FedEx, etc. They essentially go to every residence, 6 days a week (now 7 in the case of Amazon packages). With more and more internet purchases, it looks like they are on the way to doing this instead of relying on advertisements and letters from grandparents ;) for their income.

(S)
11-07-2018, 12:04 PM
I have been shipping stuff large and small since about 2000. I know medium to large shippers get discounts and kickbacks because I get offers sent to me all the time. . And Yes rates have gone up double since then. Is that too much? I don't know. I do know a lot of NOS parts prices have stayed 'flat' the last few years while repro parts rise. (raw materials costs) However, old car prices are rising again...

Back in 2000, the flat rate envelope was 3.85 . A V8 water pump used to ship across the country for $ 7 bucks. Oh well, you guys got .15 cent gas.

Lou Van Anne
11-07-2018, 12:09 PM
Recently I shipped 70#s of transmission parts from CA to MI.....PakMail quoted me $125 to package and ship....USPS charged me $39 to ship in two "if it fits" large boxes.....I had to do the packing.....both boxes arrived damaged but apparently complete....go figure....

(S)
11-07-2018, 12:19 PM
The same 2 boxes are $39 bucks if you sent feathers in them!

Jeff_H
11-07-2018, 12:38 PM
Posted some comments about some large bulky but relatively light weight parts I have been ordering for my truck repairs on this similar thread from last month:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?108386-Curious-about-shipping-cost-on-a-complete-weatherstripping-kit

I just got the trailer hitch put in this weekend. Free shipping from Summit on something that is pretty heavy. Prices elsewhere with shipping would have been 2x or more what I paid.

Thing is with recently higher fuel prices... Yes they have gone up the past months but still not higher than they were for a while 10yrs ago and shipping then was less than now so there is more to it than that.

orecrush
11-07-2018, 06:28 PM
[QUOTE=orecrush;1134344][The item I ordered was 8 little plugs for the v8 rocker arm shafts The weight is equal to app. 8 pennies The box size is 5 in. x 5 in. packing is paper

What was the shipping charge?
The shipping charge was $22.30

mike cenit
11-07-2018, 07:39 PM
​shop the freight the way you shop the part..............................

JLB
11-08-2018, 06:20 AM
Go to this site and you read about "dimensional freight", which is what you are experiencing, in my opinion.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=14&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjiqISk48TeAhUlqoMKHVsGAPMQFjANegQIBxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.shipbob.com%2Fblog%2Fdimensional-weight-explained%2F&usg=AOvVaw3Vfiy1hVbpjyoWxRShRzOw

unclemiltie
11-08-2018, 07:55 AM
My wife has been sick and I have been shipping her EBay packages for a while. I definitely appreciate her efforts as I have found this to be time consuming and painful. You want to provide the lowest cost possible to the buyer so you shop shipping costs on USPS, UPS and fedex For smaller packages USPS is always the most cost effective When items are heavy or long then Fedex or UPS are cheaper. Just when I think I have it figured out the rates seem to change. Also the calculators are not always accurate for long packages. I also found you need to insure all packages as the more valuable ones are normally the ones damaged and the seller cannot afford to eat that loss.

International shipping is a whole different topic and is quite costly.

On light weight packages you can ship for 3.50 first class and priority mail for 6.70. The priority mail includes $50 insurance and is in a box instead of envelope. The box seems to receive less damage. I will choose the box as I value the part arriving in good condition over saving a couple bucks.

And I also have learned that shipping tape and bubble wrap are not free

orecrush
11-08-2018, 06:53 PM
Don't expect to collect insurance over $50.00 from USPS even if you buy insurance over the $50.00 amount All you will get is a hole lot of reasons why they cannot pay your claim

My wife has been sick and I have been shipping her EBay packages for a while. I definitely appreciate her efforts as I have found this to be time consuming and painful. You want to provide the lowest cost possible to the buyer so you shop shipping costs on USPS, UPS and fedex For smaller packages USPS is always the most cost effective When items are heavy or long then Fedex or UPS are cheaper. Just when I think I have it figured out the rates seem to change. Also the calculators are not always accurate for long packages. I also found you need to insure all packages as the more valuable ones are normally the ones damaged and the seller cannot afford to eat that loss.

International shipping is a whole different topic and is quite costly.

On light weight packages you can ship for 3.50 first class and priority mail for 6.70. The priority mail includes $50 insurance and is in a box instead of envelope. The box seems to receive less damage. I will choose the box as I value the part arriving in good condition over saving a couple bucks.

bob40
11-08-2018, 09:22 PM

Neither are boxes.

lelshaddai
11-08-2018, 10:05 PM
I just shipped a pair of rear leaf springs to St. Paul from AZ. Wired them together, Had to wrap them in cardboard sealed with duct tape. 60lbs.

$70 FedEX

Warren Webb
11-08-2018, 10:16 PM
A couple of months ago I filled out an order from Rock Auto for 5 parts, a pair of struts, a serpentine belt & 2 others. For all 5 the shipping was over $80 dollars but since 2 parts came from warehouses that required shipping from USPS, it increased the cost. I eliminated the last 2 things & shipping became just over $30 bucks (the pair of struts & the belt) & shipped Fed-Ex to my house whereas USPS requires me to go to the local post office which is only open Monday thru Friday from 9-12 & 1-4 making it even more inconvenient. The experience made me very aware of who I buy from & who does the shipping.

TWChamp
11-08-2018, 10:32 PM
Don't expect to collect insurance over $50.00 from USPS even if you buy insurance over the $50.00 amount All you will get is a hole lot of reasons why they cannot pay your claim
I've had lots of things broken by the post office, and after going through hours of red tape, I have yet to ever get paid for the damage. I never pay for insurance anymore.
In fact I quit buying a lot of things off ebay because of the possibility the PO will break them.

orecrush
11-09-2018, 10:24 AM
You are correct on damaged parts and collecting insurance claim over $50.00

I've had lots of things broken by the post office, and after going through hours of red tape, I have yet to ever get paid for the damage. I never pay for insurance anymore.
In fact I quit buying a lot of things off ebay because of the possibility the PO will break them.

unclemiltie
11-10-2018, 08:08 AM

We have had very few issues with USPS overall. BUT --- Within the last couple months we had two things broken. I tried the new to me online claim process and it worked smoothly and money was refunded. We did not have to provide the broken items as you use to. you just provide a picture. USPS did make a change though, if you want the cost of shipping refunded also, then you have to include the shipping amount in the amount of insurance you buy. As we mainly sell on ebay and ebay makes the seller responsible for any damages we do indeed insure most items as we cannot afford a $100 hit. We also try to tape all boxes extra well especially the heavy ones, which costs us a few more $ but seems to help prevent damage. I do wonder if USPS response to claims is different for Ebay sold items.

bob40
11-10-2018, 08:21 AM
Over 12,000 items shipped via USPS in the last 10 years. One item lost. Not one damaged.
Not one damaged. Yes, I said it twice.
I overpack every item. I double box anything fragile

sbca96
12-05-2018, 02:31 AM
I have bought quite a lot of items from SI in the last two years, the shipping hasnt hurt much since my orders have been large enough to get their discount. I have two hungry Avantis to feed.

Tom

RadioRoy
12-05-2018, 03:13 AM
Over 12,000 items shipped via USPS in the last 10 years. One item lost. Not one damaged.
Not one damaged. Yes, I said it twice.
I overpack every item. I double box anything fragile

Over packing is the key. People who pack/ship things would be well served to apprentice for a year as receiving/unpacking agents. That way they can see what type of packing damages things and what type of packing protects things. It would be an eye opener for them.

dleroux
12-05-2018, 10:35 AM
Over packing is the key. People who pack/ship things would be well served to apprentice for a year as receiving/unpacking agents. That way they can see what type of packing damages things and what type of packing protects things. It would be an eye opener for them.

Absolutely correct Roy. Worked for UPS at the North Mpls. hub 1977- 1979 and then at Eastern Airlines @ SFO 1985 - 1988 in all operations but many hours in air freight. After seeing how things are packed correctly I'm the default person for packing & shipping our EQ throughout the country & internationally. The problem is no matter how often I demonstrate the correct way of packing, the newcomers have their "own" way of doing things. I stand back and let the catastrophe unfold. I hope to be out of here by June & I'll let the new "experts" deal with their own created messes. Too old & too tired of cleaning up after them.

voxnut
12-05-2018, 12:07 PM
I posted a thread about this awhile back. The dimensional freight charge got me, and it was ridiculous - $173 for them to ship a Lark wagon weatherstripping kit. My biggest issue with SI, is that when it was packed and shipping was calculated, they didn't bother to give me a head's up on the shipping cost - I had purchased it online, which doesn't give you a total including shipping. It was over the weekend, so when I called them on Monday to find out what the total was including the shipping, I was flabbergasted that the shipping cost was so high and no one bothered to contact me to okay it. Even the gal I talked to was shocked at how high the cost was and investigated it to make sure it was correct. She let me know that there were cheaper ways to ship it, but SI doesn't want to deal with multiple carriers, so they send everything via UPS.

Had I known the shipping cost, I would have either cancelled the order, or had the window channels taken off the order, which was supposedly what the bulk of the exorbitant charge was because they were packed in a 8' long, 3" PVC pipe. I emailed the owner explaining my surprise as the cost and having no indication of this when I placed the order, and suggested that they might want to add a note to their online listing and in future catalogs that due to dimensional weight, shipping on that item will be substantially higher than what it would seem - or in those cases such as mine, where shipping will be 25% of the order total, contact the purchaser to give them a head's up. Never received a reply.

SI lost a customer in me, I'll go everywhere else but them for my parts now.

Dean

skyway
12-05-2018, 12:54 PM
"Over packing is the key."

My favorite packaging ever was when the late great Don Gay mailed me a Commander 6 head totally surrounded by empty quart plastic oil bottles WITH their lids screwed on!

Hallabutt
12-05-2018, 03:24 PM
A couple of comments regarding my years in customer service for the USPS. During the more then fifty year time span that I spent with the company (43 years in three different time frames) I had the opportunity to compare and contrast the other common carriers with the post office. I was one of the first customer service/Account Reps servicing the fledgling Amazon, when it started in the mid 90's. I have told the story before and won't go into it, but suffice to say that when the other common carriers would not give a new company much help, but the PO had their back.

1)In response to Dick Steinkamp's comments regarding the PO having a leg up on the competition-thank you and in my opinion very true. As many know, the old US Post Office, up until about 1971 was a subsidized arm of the federal government. At that time it was reorganized into the quasi public, non profit corporation, (USPS) an unsubsidized company. The PO dated back to the 18th century, where among other things it was considered essential to the First Amendment of the Constitution. Part of it's job has always been package services (Parcel Post).

In the old PO, affordable service was the overwhelming goal, thus subsidized service. The PO was never supposed to be competitive with private enterprise in the field of package services. I watched as the PO abdicated it's former obligation during the 60's, as they allowed other common carriers, like UPS, become competitive. Part of the PO's mandate was to try not to compete with the private common carriers. By the time the 70's rolled around and they suddenly faced with having to compete, they had given up so much ground that they had to play catch up. Another problem for the PO has always been the fact that there is a faction that ideologically believes that government shouldn't have any entity that even gives the appearance of competing with a private entity.

The USPS does not set their own rates, that job is given to the "Postal Regulatory Commission." The PRC is appointed by the president and holds sway over all rates that the USPS charges. The contract period that the USPS signs with the American people is for three years. The first year is supposed to run a surplus, the second year to brake even and the third year to run a deficit. The USPS submits a rate schedule, but it's input is limited by political constraints. I have seen instances where the PRC has raised the USPS's postage because they deemed it too low for the private carriers to compete.

2) USPS cannot charge less to Amazon customers then it charges to other volume customers.

3)Volume sellers sign a contract with a particular carrier. When a customer places an order, unless the customer stipulates another carrier, the shipping defaults to the contracted carrier.

I could say more, but 85% of postal patrons rate the PO as good or excellent. I ship too, and I use other carriers, but I always use the USPS as my base of comparison. Over fifty years taught me something.

rodnutrandy
12-05-2018, 06:54 PM
On the reverse side , I have seen a few items I ordered from WISH ( China ) Shipping is 1, 2 ,3 dollars and that includes flying over the ocean !

T-CAB
12-05-2018, 07:18 PM
Shipping from Canada to the USA has got so high it is not practical to sell through Ebay anymore. Have decided to recycle most of my sales brochure and old manuals. Most of my parts will likely end up in the dump as there is not a market here in Canada!.

When buying from the USA, it is much cheaper to have the items shipped to Pembina, ND, and drive down to kick them up.

T-Cab

StudeRich
12-05-2018, 07:51 PM
Well then, someone could pick the Parts and literature up for Free in Pembina, ND, and save you the trouble of scrapping them! :rolleyes:

fxolato
12-06-2018, 10:14 AM
Ahh shipping.... It is one of the most challenging parts of being in business, way worse today than in the old days. I used UPS for the first ten years I was in business (until they got too expensive) and things for the most part went well. I did have a box get destroyed (along with the parts inside) in route to a customer, and when I got the box back... there were tire tracks on the box. I filed a claim with UPS who promptly denied my claim, said the box was improperly packed. Well it was not my first rodeo so I went up the chain of command and got nothing. Plan B...I bluffed my way thru the UPS switchboard in Atlanta and got ahold of the CEO of UPS! I got him out of a meeting at which point he wanted (demanded) to know who I was and what I wanted!

I explained that while I was not his biggest customer I was a loyal customer and that I did not appreciate having my claim denied when there were tire tracks on the box. Where do you live and when did this happen...? The very next day at 8:00 am there was a UPS district rep in a three piece suit at the front door of my shop. He had driven from Kansas City (a three hour drive one way) with a check an an apology that he was told to deliver in person. He gave me his personal number and said if I ever had any problems to please call him and please DO NOT ever call Atlanta again. I think his behind was glowing and apparently so were quite a few others between Atlanta and Kansas City., that was pretty apparent. I never had any problems with UPS after that. I kept that phone number and gave it out a couple of times close friends who were having claim issues.... they got the same results. Claims in our area always got paid after that... no questions asked.

Today I ship USPS as they provide the free shipping boxes (you can go online and order them for free at USPS.com) and they even pay the expense to deliver them to you... so they are truly free, and they have those flat rate boxes which I use whenever possible. USPS have upped their game in recent years, and are much cheaper than UPS and there is no weekly pickup fee, and the boxes are tracked just like UPS. They will even come and pickup your packages if you buy the postage online and have the box ready for pickup.

Customers often ask why I ship USPS? I tell customers I would rather have them buy parts than postage. If I am saving money on shipping, then they will be saving money on shipping. That is a win win for both of us.

Hallabutt
12-06-2018, 01:10 PM
Yes China was an exception, because the US had given emerging nations special rates intended to help bring their economies into step with the global economy. The problem was that while it certainly helped China, it's removal was long overdue. The rates that the Chinese have been paying have not come close to covering the cost of shipping. In other words the PO was forced to subsidize all the small items mailed here from China. Previous administrations had sot to roll back the rates. Few on this side of the Pacific wanted the subsidy to continue, but this administration was the first to get get something done. It's common knowledge that the PO disliked the arbitrary low rates, because they were obligated to subsidize all the small items that came into the country via the mail stream.

bensherb
12-06-2018, 01:54 PM
Ahh shipping.... Plan B...I bluffed my way thru the UPS switchboard in Atlanta and got ahold of the CEO of UPS! I got him out of a meeting at which point he wanted (demanded) to know who I was and what I wanted!

I explained that while I was not his biggest customer I was a loyal customer and that I did not appreciate having my claim denied when there were tire tracks on the box. Where do you live and when did this happen...? The very next day at 8:00 am there was a UPS district rep in a three piece suit at the front door of my shop. He had driven from Kansas City (a three hour drive one way) with a check an an apology that he was told to deliver in person.

:lol: My approach as well. It's amazing how quickly an issue can be resolved once you contact the company CEO. Interestingly, the times I have, it's been through a letter or email, and I've never included a phone number, but first thing in the morning I receive a phone call from either the CEO or the next guy down the ladder asking how we can make it right, and it has always been taken care of. Those companies I have much more respect for now, than I previously did. Many have the guy in power so insulated there's no way to let him know what is going on, and you just get the run around from underlings.

mch
12-09-2018, 05:40 PM
A recent item from S.I. was sent very expensively. the item was returned and shipping from the P.O. was less than half. I called an inquired as to why, I got a credit for my next purchase. Mark

ndynis
12-10-2018, 06:23 AM
Wouldn't it be better if SI had just priced the shipping correctly to start with. I know they are having growing pains but price of parts, price of shipping, and customer service all seem to be suffering. Like most of you, I have spent a lot of money with SI in the past few years but loyalty only goes so far.
Nick

Zeus
12-20-2018, 05:11 PM
Well, SI has taken almost three weeks to ship my stuff, and now I'm petrified of the cost they'll dump on shipping!

Studebakercenteroforegon
12-20-2018, 06:39 PM
Figured this post needed a positive statement. Except for a short while around the time of their recent major move, my shipments from Studebaker International have always arrived quickly, and the shipping cost has always been reasonable.

Hallabutt
12-21-2018, 01:58 PM
Refer to item #3 on my long winded post #40. It is your money, and it should be your choice when it comes to choosing a shipper. If you let the seller choose, you loose control. The seller may have contracted with a particular shipper, but it's still up to you, it's your money. I have walked away from a purchase, when a seller has refused to honor my request for a different shipper. I see it as customer service, and once I walk away from a deal, because of lack of same, I don't go back.