Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TWO Pop Quizzes, one Studebaker related.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TWO Pop Quizzes, one Studebaker related.

OK, guys, here's a two-fer.

Check out this seemingly-innocuous article from the January 2019 Hot Rod: Click to enlarge so you can read it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	hotrod1152018.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	1759716

Yes, there is a Studebaker connection...and an unrelated goof where the writer got "caught" by spel-chek. So, two questions / two Pop Quizzes / two awards. The first person to post the correct answer to each question (or both of them if you want to take a stab) will be sent an NOS, uncirculated copy of Studebaker's small 1964 brochure, P.D. 64-11:

Click image for larger version

Name:	64studebrochuresmall.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	1759717

Question 1: What goof is a result of trusting spel-chek and, as a result, the wrong word being used even though the word itself is spelled correctly in the article?

Question 2: The article contains a reference to an important element of a certain Studebaker's life, a Studebaker that has been repeatedly discussed here on the forum. What is the related reference in this article?

Feel free to answer either question; two small brochures will be awarded. (Note, please: This is being posted on Election Eve, so I won't be able to respond until late Tuesday evening, November 6th, in that I'll be sequestered working the polls all day election day. So don't be discouraged if I don't jump right in and verify an answer. If yours is the first post with either (or both!) the correct answers, you'll win.)
    Happy Hunting! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

The number 1 question is too easy. Thrown, should be throne. I'm confused by question #2, But I'll take a crack at the Whistler that ran at Beeline Dragway in the 60's. I didn't run there until '71, so never saw it before John found and is restoring it.
    Last edited by HOXXOH; 11-05-2018, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Alright, you mischievous riddler you, I'm going to take a crack at this in hopes of winning that lovely brochure for the best styled Lark-type (in my opinion).

No. 1: After thoroughly scanning this article, and probably straining myself doing so, I have determined this to be a grammar mistake. Therefore, the word "thrown" instead of "throne" seems very suspicious.

No. 2: It is likely that the famous Studebaker that was referenced is either the "Stude Tomato" or "The Plain Brown Wrapper". Both of these were also Lark-types, so it is fitting that the prize should be related to one as well.
      Last edited by Stude Shoo-wop!; 11-05-2018, 07:04 PM.
      Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Originally posted by HOXXOH View Post
        The number 1 question is too easy. Thrown, should be throne. I'm confused by question #2, But I'll take a crack at the Whistler that ran at Beeline Dragway in the 60's. I didn't run there until '71, so never saw it before John found and is restoring it.
        BINGO, Tom; you got 'em both!

Send me a Forum PM here with your current, physical mailing address and I'll send you two Studebaker #P.D. 64-11 brochures.

Congratulations. BP (Yes, I woke up a little early for Polling Place duty, so I could check this before leaving for the day. )
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
        X