Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1983 AVANTI with Chevy 350 bored 30 over balanced & blueprinted Engine...Does it add value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1983 AVANTI with Chevy 350 bored 30 over balanced & blueprinted Engine...Does it add value?

I just checked the NADA Value for my 1983 Avanti and the Average Retail is shown as $20,100. I am assuming that is with the basic 305 Engine.

If my Avanti has a Chev 350 bored over 30 and has been balanced and blueprinted, does that increase the value or decrease the value?
    Does it just depend on the Buyer wanting either a muscle car willing to pay more or a Purest wanting one to restore to original specs wanting to pay less?

Depends what it came with. My '82 came with one of the p.i.t.a. 5-liters with the notorious "soft" camshafts. At around 40K miles I pulled it, sold it to a local kid to rebuild for his pickem-up truck, and dropped in a new crate 350 from Scroggins & Dickey. Best thing that ever happened to the car! All the best.

Comment

I think the largest Value gain would be the fresh quality rebuild, not so much the 350 vs 305.

With Automatic and High Ratio rear axles, these are really not much of a Muscle Car.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Don't think it increases the value of the car. But will make it easier to sell.

Comment

Thanks for the comments and replies....In search for the paperwork the original purchaser in Texas had as I believe it came with a 305 and he replaced it with the 350.

Comment

Seeing as I own an '83 and have the same dilemma, (anemic 305 requiring some compression and horsepower), I have started to build a 406 CID Small Block for the same reasons. Doing something like this will rarely yield more value except to that very discerning purchaser who wants exactly what you have created. I don't think there are very many crazies like us out there, but hey, ask Xcalibur for a second opinion.
            Have you purchased the motor yet? Check the web site for Skip White Performance https://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/

There is some excellent information there which may assist you in your purchase. Check out his turn key 406 CID.
            Luck,
            Bill

Comment

I am the 3rd. Owner and that engine was already in the car. The 2nd. Owner purchased the car in the early 90's with the upgraded engine in it. The car only has 88,500 miles on it, so not sure how many miles were on the original engine and how many are on this engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Xcalibur View Post
                Depends what it came with. My '82 came with one of the p.i.t.a. 5-liters with the notorious "soft" camshafts. At around 40K miles I pulled it, sold it to a local kid to rebuild for his pickem-up truck, and dropped in a new crate 350 from Scroggins & Dickey. Best thing that ever happened to the car! All the best.
                I'm surprised that GM was still having soft cam problems in 82, as I worked at the GM dealership in the mid 70's, and was replacing soft cams and tappets back then.
                Guess GM was slow to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by GOTLUCKY View Post
                  Thanks for the comments and replies....In search for the paperwork the original purchaser in Texas had as I believe it came with a 305 and he replaced it with the 350.
                  The 350 is certainly an upgrade over the anemic 305 that it came with. As far as value, I'd first look at what that era cars have actually sold for on the open market. I'd be surprised if they went for anywhere near $20K. These cars have never been highly valued in the used/classic car market for a number of reasons.

As far a value increasing with the addition of a better engine, I'd suspect it wouldn't increase the value anywhere near the cost of the upgrade.

Look below and you can see I own two, an 83 and 74. The 83 I bought about 10 yrs ago for $7500 and it's about average for an 83. It now has a 355 EFI Roller SBC. The 74 has a 383 stroker SBC. Both are much more fun to drive.

I doubt you'll ever see the value of the engine upgrade in price increase but you will have a vehicle that performs as good as it looks.

Avanti, Bob

Comment

Yes, No, Maybe. Since the AII is not a nut-ball-numbers-matching collectible, it's difficult to imagine a scenario where having a $2500 - $5,000 engine upgrade wouldn't add considerable value. What buyer's going to say, "No, I'd buy it if it had the original worn-out slug 305" but not with identical appearing new 350" with 50% more power." ; not many.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Thanks Bob for your reply and comments....

So doesn't NADA use the sales information of each Avanti by year to obtain that Average Value of $20,100. they provided? I have always used it as a guide when purchasing other cars paying a little higher or lower based on condition, options and mileage. Are Classic Cars different due to their rarity? This engine upgrade also included Hooker Headers and Roller Rockers.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                        Yes, No, Maybe. Since the AII is not a nut-ball-numbers-matching collectible, it's difficult to imagine a scenario where having a $2500 - $5,000 engine upgrade wouldn't add considerable value. What buyer's going to say, "No, I'd buy it if it had the original worn-out slug 305" but not with identical appearing new 350" with 50% more power." ; not many.

jack vines
                        Well Jack ....I had a prospective purchaser who I would classify as a Purist who wanted that worn out slug 305 engine so he could restore it as original....Yes, they are out there....;o)

Comment

Depends on buyer ,some want original and some would be happy with more grunt !
                          Randy Wilkin
                          1946 M5 Streetrod
                          Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

If someone is set on obtaining an original 83 Avanti it would decrease the value. Otherwise probably not much at all.
                            Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                            Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Originally posted by GOTLUCKY View Post
                              Thanks Bob for your reply and comments....

So doesn't NADA use the sales information of each Avanti by year to obtain that Average Value of $20,100. they provided? I have always used it as a guide when purchasing other cars paying a little higher or lower based on condition, options and mileage. Are Classic Cars different due to their rarity? This engine upgrade also included Hooker Headers and Roller Rockers.
                              GL, I can't speak to how NADA arrives at their values but I know when I insure my Avanti's the agreed upon value is much lower than the value you quote. If you look at the value of early 80's on Hagerty's site you will see they claim $10-13K for average condition.

Not saying really good ones can't go higher. Heck, there was an 83 for sale built by Fantomworks that was going for $49K. Of course the owner had spent over $150K on the build.

In my mind, unless it's a special or fully restored unit, they are best driven and not thought of as an investment.

As others have said, eye of the beholder.

IAC, that 350 in your Avanti has improved it's enjoyment many-fold.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X