First Studebaker built in Hamilton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Studebaker built in Hamilton

According to what I have read, the first Studebaker built in Hamilton was completed on August 18, 1948. It was a 1948 Champion. By mid-August 1948, why would they not be producing 1949 models? How many 1948 cars were built in Hamilton before the minor change to 1949 styling?
    Bill Jarvis

Originally posted by Greenstude View Post
    According to what I have read, the first Studebaker built in Hamilton was completed on August 18, 1948. It was a 1948 Champion. By mid-August 1948, why would they not be producing 1949 models? How many 1948 cars were built in Hamilton before the minor change to 1949 styling?
    Bill , can’t answer your question but just wanted to let you know that this car may still exist !
    a member of our club is looking into trying to get the serial # from this car .......more to come at a later date
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

As I remember from a long ago Fred Fox article on the 1949 Cars, the model year for 1948 was a long year in production and the 1949 model year was short, like about 9 months. Maybe the management decided that with the upcoming 1950 model year, 1949 would be shorter. Factor in that 1948 was catching up with the still booming postwar demand. Chrysler did a similar thing with the 1949 models but they produced 1948 models calling them 1949 then introduced the restyled cars mid 1949.

Hope this helps and other feel free to chime in about production.

Bob Miles
      Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator

Comment

The answer s likely in the June '93 TW issue - article o the '48 model year. l have access to my TW index - but the issues themselves are buried in storage too deep! Someone else should be able to find a copy!
        Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
        61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
        Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
        Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

The last 1948 model year Studebaker wasn't assembled in South Bend until Dec 23, 1948. New 1949 models would not be in dealer showrooms until mid January 1949. The reason for the late introduction is discussed by E.T. Reynolds in his TW article of April 1984. Fred Fox's article on the '49 model year cars is in the June 1990 issue and it also mentions the late intro date. My 21 page article on Canadian production is in the March 1986 TW. It has a list of production of all Canadian models along with serial numbers etc. You have the correct date for the first Canadian '48 (see images below). The starting serial number for the 1948 Canadian built Champions is 700001 and a total of 2992 were assembled.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	canadian prod 1948c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	1724247Click image for larger version

Name:	canadian prod 1948b.jpg
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	1724248Click image for larger version

Name:	canadian prod 1948a.jpg
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	1724249
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Craig

Comment

Thank you, everyone. I have the index and all the above issues of TW --- so now I have some re-reading to do!
              Bill Jarvis

Comment

Working...
              X