New old stock 27 TT advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: New old stock 27 TT advice

Just got a 3.73 Dana 27 TT that has never been installed or even filled. It turns real slow, like it has molasses in the bearings. Has a Newman & Altman shipping label still on it.*

I pulled the cover and it's immaculate inside, except for some sticky grease residue, just wonder if anyone knows if that's some sort of assembly lube. Thinking I should just fill it and turn it to wash that out or?

Also wondering if I should worry about the pinion and/or axle seals or just try my luck.

The open 27 in our 64 Commander is getting noisy, and now is making a wah wah resonant tone at some speeds. It's a 6 so I was happy to find this...
    *the Newman & Altman tag was addressed to Steve Grinols, iirc I sold him a 41 President a couple decades ago. Small world.

I have one too that I bought around 1988 from N&A that even still has the part # tag on it. I should have bought a 44 instead but didn't know that tmuch back in the day.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

My experience with a NOS axle demonstrated that the pinion seal had become hard. After a few hundred miles it let loose and leaked profusely and I came home on a hook with a ruined outer pinion bearing. Replaced the bearing and the seal and have driven it another 70K so far no problems. So replace the seals and run a few pints of gear lube through the unit to soften up the old assembly lube before you put it under load.

Comment

I'd leave the lube in place and add the correct TT lube to fill it.

Comment

Originally posted by retrostude View Post
          ... except for some sticky grease residue,
          I would suspect that's cosmoline. You will find that a lot in older parts, weapons, etc that were expected to be stored for unknown periods. The story is told that once upon a time complete vehicles (specifically Model T's) would be disassembled, cosmolined , crated and shipped to outposts too tiny for a sales outlet, where it would be assembled by the purchaser. Don't know if that's true or not but there were occasional reports of someone coming across a crate and discovering a decades old Model T as pristine as the day it was born.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I would check out those NOS Newman & Altman Standard Surplus Rear Axle Assemblies Very carefully!

I have 2 of them I had picked up for me at the 1st. (of 2) International Meets at the Queen Mary in Long Beach Calif.

I think they are both Avanti "Pull-Off's", with reddish brown putty covering the 2 Lower rear cover screw holes, painted Black.

It appears that the Factory broke the heads off of the screws on purpose to note they are Factory rejects probably to be returned to Dana, but never were.
            And then, they were covered up by N/A S/S, and discounted, sold as usable New!

They are Locked up internally, and I have not determined the damage yet.
            I guess the first clue was that for under $150.00 ea. for a 3.54 and 4.09 Twin Traction, Dana 44, with Traction Bar Brackets, Axle to Axle was TOO GOOD to be True even 34 Years ago!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I would put some gear oil in it and turn it. It should loosen up. Replacing the pinion seal might not be necessary but they are cheap and easy to change. I would replace it as cheap insurance. I would pull the axles and repack the bearings. At that time you can inspect the internal axle seals. If they are lip type, Feel them to see if they are pliable. They may be felt. Lube them prior to reinstalling the axles.
              james r pepper

Comment

Working...
              X