Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair Panels - where to buy?

Hi guys
    as you can see from the photo the old metal worm has paid a visit , is there any company's making reproduction parts ??? (1950 Commander bullet nose model)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2896.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1759659

The below Link is for the Studebaker Vendor that advertises Repair Panels in the Monthly SDC publication "Turning Wheels" that you will get Monthly after Joining the (International) Studebaker Drivers Club Inc.

https://www.classicent.com/studebaker/sedans
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Looked on there earlier but they don't have the part I'm looking for and I did join back in 1991 problem I had with the magazines were sometimes they would turn up ripped or not turn up at all !!!

Comment

I'm not aware of a patch panel for that area of the car.
        Probably time to start fabricating your own. Take your time and don't hesitate to do it several times to get it correct.
        Good luck.
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I have a good used front clip I would sell. It was a spare for a car I sold
          Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
          1961 Hawk 4-speed
          1967 Avanti
          1961 Lark 2 door
          1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Good grief! Just repair that small amount of damage.
            Turning Wheels is now mailed in a clear plastic wrapper.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If you don't have the skills to make that in one piece, make it in several strips to fit over the damaged area. You are not restoring a million dollar Duesenberg - a little bondo work will be acceptable. The main thing is to get rid of all the rust.
              Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
              See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
                I'm not aware of a patch panel for that area of the car.
                Probably time to start fabricating your own. Take your time and don't hesitate to do it several times to get it correct.
                Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post
                  I have a good used front clip I would sell. It was a spare for a car I sold
                  Not sure how a good used front clip will help with that repair to be honest

Comment

Cut the roll ten piece out and use it as a template to get a starting point for the new one. The picture is a little hard to make out. Originally I thought is was the front fender too. Is this the area right behind the door?
                    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Sometimes it's easiest to get a piece from some other old car from a scrapyard, like that you might get better steel than if you buy new plating. My Josephine's rear part of front fenders have 2door-Volvo-Amazon-behind-the-doors-pieces turned upside-down:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Nox's.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	1724168

Comment

Originally posted by Rooneytoons View Post
                        Hi guys
                        as you can see from the photo the old metal worm has paid a visit , is there any company's making reproduction parts ???
                        I'll offer a couple of thoughts. Of course the best answer is to find a repo or salvage part but if you can't, I'll assume you can weld as you are talking about replacing the panel. Take a picture to some local body shops and ask if the can fix the area or make you a panel by beating it out of metal.

Lastly - if you have a MIG welder, make your own repair. The panel is not terribly rusted in that the contours are still there. Do it in pieces and make it by any combination of pieces that you can bend easily. The best way to make the raised part is to make a wood form the shape of the raised area that is in two pieces. Sandwich your metal piece between them, clamp them leaving about 3/4" of metal sticking out and bend it down with a hammer. Keep hammering until you have the shape you need, trim the metal to height and put it together. You may need to make some relief cuts to get the sides flat but that can be repaired with the welder.

From your picture, I think you are going to find a few other areas that will need attention when you cut the outside panel off so this will be a good chance to fix it all.

Bob
                        Last edited by sweetolbob; 10-27-2018, 04:41 AM.

Comment

That's going to be a fabrication repair whether you do it yourself or have someone else do it. You might check with Leroy Cary at Cary Fabricating Service but I doubt he has made that piece either.

Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

That would be a very easy piece to build with some sheet metal and a body hammer.

Comment

I don't think anyone makes that part. I got a similar section for Dad's 50 Champion from Vern Ediger. He cut a big chunk out of a wrecked car he had and shipped it to me. This is probably your best option. I think Barry Hackney also has some cars he will cut chunks out of.

That section could be fabricated but it would be a lot easier to get it from a doner car.
                              Wayne
                              "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X