Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Electric power steering

New to the Forum so here goes,
    I just finished installing the electric power steering unit on my 59 Lark. What a pleasure to drive and park. I have a tilt Idit column and I had to shorten that and now I see that they have shortened one's available. I installed a 354 Hemi in the Lark and with the wide tires it was a bit of a bear to park, not any more. I've been investigating later Lark spindles as I'm told they have a bit more + caster and thats's something I'd like to know more about. I don't want to swap out a perfectly good front end for something thats a step backwards. I tried Eaton springs and they were just not correct so I called up Kansas City springs and they made a set for me and they are perfect. The Hemi isn't a lot heavier than the 259 that it replaced as I removed a lot of weight by using the Hemi Haines front timing cover. If anyones interested in the swap I'd be more than happy to provide details.

You have any photos? I plan to put Electric Power steering in my Champ this winter. It looks pretty straight forward. I have had the parts for a couple years but have been busy working on my 51.
    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Hi Kurt,
      Yes I have pics as soon as I get some time I'll post them.

Comment

This sounds like it would make a great video tutorial for posting on the SDC website with the others. I would love to do something like this on my Champ if the cost is reasonable.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Almost finished "fabricobbling" (as Jerry Forrester says) a Toyota Prius EPAS in my '64 GT. I'm waiting for my steering column (an '86 Monte Carlo w/tilt and cruise) to be fitted to the original Stude steering wheel and then I'll post some pic's of the process I came up with. Bill

Comment

I paid 150.00 for a complete steering column from a Cobalt. I literally removed everything except the actual motor and brain. As I understand it the Cobalt uses different computer language than normal and not knowing this at the onset I had to purchase another brain box along with the potentiometer ( variable speed controller ) for another 125.00. The rest was my doing. I stripped the column down to it's essentials and shorted the shaft. I was on virgin territory with this so I measured 6 times and cut once. My steering shaft on the Studs box was already cut down to install the edit column and all I had to do was mate up the shaft from the motor to the box and that was a "D" shaft so it was quite simple. I think if I did it again it might take about 6 hours from start to finish. There's plenty of leg room for both pedals, I am using a Muncie 4 speed behind the Hemi. I'm working on how to post the pictures and once I figure that out I'll get them up. If I was doing it again I'd use one from a Hyundai they seem to be the most robust of these units and I'm told that there is no need to swap the brain box out just use the variable speed controller. I also have read that some of these power units have plastic gears and some have metal. I think in retrospect I'd find out what the gears are made of before I bought one.

Comment

If any vehicle produced by Studebaker that could really benefit from electric power steering it's the Champ! I have 3 that have bias ply or radial tires, are well greased & driven. All 3 are hard to steer at rest. Off & on I was thinking of changing the steering gearbox to one for a 55-57 Chevy by CPP. It isn't electric but the box looks very similar to one in the Champ. But the "electric option" would be pretty much a slam dunk keeping things more original yet upgraded.
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Ditto on upgrading the Champ steering! I'm all ears...Kurt and others who brave it, please post updates!
                Mike Davis
                1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Remember that you will probably have go with a transmission floor shift after installing this type of power steering.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

The set up I will e using is the Saturn Vue/ Chevy Equinox. Paid $75 for the whole column from a pull a part place. I have the potentiometer that this system requires. Like I said earlier I have had the parts for a long time but not the time to convert. I have been working on getting the 51 painted.
                    Attached Files
                    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

EPS for my '53 Wagon

I also will be using the Saturn Vue eps on my '53 wagon (not a typo). I purchased a Vue column for $45 and the variable controller for $35 a I recall. I mated the eps power unit to a tilt column which I had to shorten, made my own coupler for the column to power unit and connected the output shaft to a 3/4" dd shaft using the stock Vue universal. I also wanted to keep the column stock looking so I purchased a later model Lark steering wheel and horn ring and built an adapter to mate it to the gm shaft. I just finished painting the body and should have this project on the road by late Spring. Here are some pics of the column.Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010008-001.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1724185Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010011-001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1724186

Comment

So... why is your wagon a 53 and not a typo? Do you have a story about your special car?
                        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                          So... why is your wagon a 53 and not a typo? Do you have a story about your special car?
                          I believe that this has been covered at length in one or more other threads on this forum.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have had three T cabs and they steered just fine. I can not imagine ever being feeble enough to need power steering on anything other then a Golden Hawk. Are you guys old farts or office workers is that what the problems is....no physical strength?
                            If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                            64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                            61 V8 Tcab
                            63 Tcab 20R powered
                            55 Commander Wagon
                            54 Champion Wagon
                            46 Gibson Model A
                            50 JD MC
                            45 Agricat
                            67 Triumph T100
                            66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment

Radio Roy, your are to blame for me building my 1953 wagon.

Comment

Working...
                              X