PDA

View Full Version : Avanti Production Numbers

Silverplate
10-24-2018, 06:14 PM
It's fairly well known how many original 1963 and 1964 Avanti's were produced by Studebaker. Does anyone know or have an idea how many subsequent Aanti's were produced in the years following? Thanks Mike

Lou Van Anne
10-24-2018, 08:12 PM
Have you tried AOAi?
It's fairly well known how many original 1963 and 1964 Avanti's were produced by Studebaker. Does anyone know or have an idea how many subsequent Aanti's were produced in the years following? Thanks Mike

64studeavanti
10-24-2018, 08:35 PM
Try theavanti.com technical - production statistics.

Gunslinger
10-24-2018, 08:42 PM
Not sure of exact numbers but there were fewer post-Studebaker Avantis built than Studebaker produced.

studegary
10-24-2018, 08:48 PM
I have figures, that have evolved over the decades, for the years of 1965 through 2017.
I believe that the figures at theavanti have been disputed by several of us.
Is there a particular year that you are interested in or do you want a total? I have a total of 3539.

arkusvt
10-24-2018, 10:46 PM
I have figures, that have evolved over the decades, for the years of 1965 through 2017.
I believe that the figures at theavanti have been disputed by several of us.
Is there a particular year that you are interested in or do you want a total? I have a total of 3539.

the avanti.com totals for 1965-1991 are 3493. john hull's book "avanti the complete story" puts the total as 3446, a difference of 47 cars. the yearly breakdowns are fairly similar with a couple of exceptions. gary, i'd be interested to see a breakdown of your figures and how you obtained them. i'm a "numbers guy" and find this stuff fascinating and only adds to the avanti story and mystique! (if you have added the 3 avx cars and the estimated 91 2000 series cars you would only be one off hull's figures). thanks, george perry

Avantidon
10-25-2018, 04:22 AM
If anyone has the correct numbers it is John Hull. between he and John Seaton they have been around Avantis and involved with their production since 1965.

Buzzard
10-25-2018, 11:25 AM
I have always felt that Avanti II's and subsequent simply Avanti's are the deal of the century. Where else can you find a very low production (usually only 1 or 2 hundred per year), hand built car which looks so unique, is practical due to it's very common GM running gear, and distinction even in today's production of where most cars look alike?
I look forward to seeing the exact production numbers in print here.
Bill
PS: I'm somewhat prejudiced as I own two.

dleroux
10-25-2018, 04:16 PM
1963 - 1964 = 4,647 produced.
End of story

arkusvt
10-25-2018, 07:54 PM
End of story

are we to infer, (end of story), that those of us who own something other than '63's and '64's don't count?

6hk71400
10-25-2018, 08:22 PM
are we to infer, (end of story), that those of us who own something other than '63's and '64's don't count?

I don't think that is the implication. All the Avanti models after 1964 models have some Studebaker lineage. They may not be directly related but can trace something back to the original line. Ed Smith brought this up at the zone meet we just had and the Packard Hawk, and all Avanti's in attendance, the 1932 Pierce Arrow also there, were all related to the Parent Studebaker, and given awards based on judging, not by anything else.

Bob Miles
Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator

Silverplate
10-25-2018, 09:47 PM
The non Studebaker Avanti's are continuation cars and may have actually invented the term. Like the original Shelby Cobra. The follow on kit cars, Factory Five builds and many more have Shelby Cobra lineage. They also maybe not directly related but can also trace something back to the original line.

Nice article by Keith Martin https://www.sportscarmarket.com/profile/avanti-ii-the-first-continuation-car

if article comes requiring log in do a search on Avanti Continuation for full article read.

studegary
10-25-2018, 09:59 PM
the avanti.com totals for 1965-1991 are 3493. john hull's book "avanti the complete story" puts the total as 3446, a difference of 47 cars. the yearly breakdowns are fairly similar with a couple of exceptions. gary, i'd be interested to see a breakdown of your figures and how you obtained them. i'm a "numbers guy" and find this stuff fascinating and only adds to the avanti story and mystique! (if you have added the 3 avx cars and the estimated 91 2000 series cars you would only be one off hull's figures). thanks, george perry

I do not count the AVX cars as Avantis (since they aren't). I count all from 1965 through 2007.

studegary
10-25-2018, 10:09 PM
If anyone has the correct numbers it is John Hull. between he and John Seaton they have been around Avantis and involved with their production since 1965.

I agree about John Hull. Also, keep in mind that there are changes/revisions since his book came out.
As far as production, I believe that John Seaton was involved from the AVX days until Nov. 2001 and John Hull was Nov. 1999 until ?

ddub
10-26-2018, 12:29 AM
End of story
I interpreted this to mean that this is the correct count for '63-'64. The later numbers are a little harder to nail down. I could be wrong.

Avantidon
10-26-2018, 06:18 AM
Gary, there's more to this. First of all John Seaton has been involved with Avantis since the very early days of the Newman and Altman project. Secondly the AVX name was used by Jim Bunting and Tom Kellogg, who by the way as a 19 year old was involved in the original Avanti project working for Mr. Raymond Loewy, because the name Avanti was still owned by Avanti Motors. Also it was Tom Kellogg redesigned and updated the car. The original drawings still exist and are in the hands of Jim Bunting. Like the Phoenix, it was John Seaton who raised the Avanti from the ashes in 1999 with his purchase of Avanti Motors, a very courageous move.

8E45E
10-26-2018, 06:50 AM
I got to see AVX #001 a year ago almost: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?79854-Two-Seat-Avanti

Craig

studegary
10-26-2018, 08:36 PM
Gary, there's more to this. First of all John Seaton has been involved with Avantis since the very early days of the Newman and Altman project. Secondly the AVX name was used by Jim Bunting and Tom Kellogg, who by the way as a 19 year old was involved in the original Avanti project working for Mr. Raymond Loewy, because the name Avanti was still owned by Avanti Motors. Also it was Tom Kellogg redesigned and updated the car. The original drawings still exist and are in the hands of Jim Bunting. Like the Phoenix, it was John Seaton who raised the Avanti from the ashes in 1999 with his purchase of Avanti Motors, a very courageous move.

Don - I agree with ALL of this. John Seaton had an involvement for the entire length of post-Studebaker Avantis, but your original statement said; "...involved with their production..." with production being the key word to me.