Details about 1950 Champion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Details about 1950 Champion?

Here is a nice looking 1950 Champion 2 door on ebay, but I'm wondering about a few details.
    The hubcaps look like 1953, and the stainless stone guards only belong on the top trim level, don't they?
    The taillight glass looks like Commander glass, but I can't get the pictures to enlarge to tell for sure.
    The dash chrome bar tells me this is a 3 trim level, but the steering wheel looks like the lowest trim level.

I'm not in the market for another Studebaker, but from the details, you are concerned about I would have zero worries as they are cosmetic. My concerns would be about how good of a condition is the wonky one-year suspension/steering system in 1950??? Then, what is the true condition of the engine? The box full of gaskets, and what looks like packages of engine components could be a sign that someone, at some time, was planning on some major work. Without some close inspection, I'd say that any realistic bidder must know that the purchase will be only the beginning of spending.

Otherwise, it is a cute little sedan.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The stainless stone guards are wrong, but where are you going to find a set of the rubber covered ones? Later model wheel discs........wish I had them for my 55, no big deal. I had a 38,000 mile, base model, 1950 Starlight Coupe with the same dash and same steering wheel/horn button, so I say that is correct. Can't tell about the tail light glass, but it's real easy to change if it is wrong.
      Buy it and sell me the wheel discs and stainless stone guards.
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
        Here is a nice looking 1950 Champion 2 door on ebay, but I'm wondering about a few details.
        The hubcaps look like 1953, and the stainless stone guards only belong on the top trim level, don't they?
        The taillight glass looks like Commander glass, but I can't get the pictures to enlarge to tell for sure.
        The dash chrome bar tells me this is a 3 trim level, but the steering wheel looks like the lowest trim level.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123442572225?ul_noapp=true
        You are correct on all points. The taillight rings look like they have reflectors at the bottom, so the rings and the glass are 50 Commander.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
          You are correct on all points. The taillight rings look like they have reflectors at the bottom, so the rings and the glass are 50 Commander.
          You've got good eyes Roy. Could you get the pictures to enlarge by holding the cursor over the picture?
          For some reason they don't enlarge for me, and I was wondering if this feature can be locked out by the seller?

Comment

Pictures did not enlarge for me either.

I think it has more to do with the pixel density of the picture and how it is inserted into the auction ad.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

The "corrected VIN" (Serial Number) that he added to the listing has three too many digits (I do not know which three).
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
              X