Suns Out - Avanti's Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suns Out - Avanti's Out

Six years - 11 months and a few days ago, Judy and I towed this 1974 Avanti four-speed back home from the western side of Michigan.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0727.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	1759644 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0743.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1759645

It was rough, the hog troughs were gone and the frame had some rust. The interior smelled of a combination of mold, varmint urine and mothballs. It had a 350, four-speed and 3:23 open rear end. It was my dream to turn it into a muscle car of my youth.

There is nothing I haven't had my hands on. New hog troughs, repaired frame and replaced rear cross member. Drive train is now a 383 SBC with a T56 6-speed and 3:55 posi rear.

The body was scraped to bare glass and coats of polyester and 2K were coated with many coats of Daytona Yellow Acrylic Enamel, all by me and then sanded and polished to a decent shine.

The entire wiring and interior were stripped out and the wiring was replaced with a 21 circuit universal harness and the interior was aired out, the door cards and interior panels replaced with ABS sheet and the vinyl redyed with vinyl spray dye. The front seats were replaced with a set of leather seats from a Pontiac G6. The heating system was replaced with a heating and cooling unit from Southern Rods.

I've always liked a cowl induction hood so I built one the way I wanted. It's functional.

The dash is from an 89 Avanti, modified to my liking and upholstered by a local firm. Carpet was purchased and the headliner is exterior carpet.

There is still a lot to finish but it has plates and insurance. It needs weatherstripping, trunk finished, door sills created but it will run, start and make me feel 18 again and at 75 that's not an easy thing to do.

I made a couple of videos of the exterior and interior. I'll do engine shots in the future but it's getting close to cold weather here so I'm pretty well done until spring.

I can only post one video so I'll post the interior one in a separate post.

Bob
    Last edited by sweetolbob; 10-22-2018, 02:11 PM.

Sweet!
    sigpic
    Dave Lester

Comment

Real nice, love the color!
      Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
      Fort Worth, TX

Comment

great read, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Congrats on getting it out and taken for a drive! You're an inspiration to me to keep plugging away on my GT. Next video needs to be on the road, I'll bet it winds up really fast and will leave lots of black streaks on the road. Have fun Bob!!!!! Bill

Comment

I see the first 2 pictures, but no video, just a large black square.

Comment

Really nice! The main thing is that you did it "your way". I like some of the personal touches such as the headlights and the fuel filler. I don't see back-up/reverse lights. You could make some for the lower openings, unless that is for exhaust.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It looks like an awesome car! Having done all of that work should REALLY make you love taking it out for a spin. The 383, and six speed, should let you live life in the FAST lane. Congradulations.
                Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Thanks folks, appreciate the nice comments.

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  Really nice! The main thing is that you did it "your way". I like some of the personal touches such as the headlights and the fuel filler. I don't see back-up/reverse lights. You could make some for the lower openings, unless that is for exhaust.
                  Gary, thanks, I opted to have more brake lights so I used the back up lights for that purpose. If I decide to add backup lights, I'll incorporate them into the vertical bumper units below the bumper.

Bob

Comment

You are livin the dream over there Bob. Working on them is just as much fun as driving them.

Comment

Congrats and as stated by Gary, you did it your way. I'll bet filming this video of your creation was close to getting a woody! You are truly inspiring me to finish my '70.
                      Bill

Comment

You have my admiration.
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

Looks TOTALLY different than what it did when I visited your place 5 years ago.....Congratulations.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                            Thanks folks, appreciate the nice comments.

Gary, thanks, I opted to have more brake lights so I used the back up lights for that purpose. If I decide to add backup lights, I'll incorporate them into the vertical bumper units below the bumper.

Bob
                            I like that idea! Are you thinking a vertical strip of white LED replacing the rubber on each lower bumper? That could be even more effective lighting than the original.

While that car was cool as it was when it was new and left South Bend, all the cool and new were both spent. Few people could have seen the potential that existed in that car. The trouble is, that potential only existed because your vision, skills, drive and initiative. You dragged what was a wreck with two wheels in the crusher and two wheels on banana peels, from the precipice and made that into a fine motor.

Ken

Comment

Wait a second... Something is very wrong with this picture. Your avatar says you're in Michigan??? How is it possible that I see sunshine on the car in that video? Were you vacationing in Florida at the time?
                              Don't get me wrong. Very awesome car. Great sounds, terrific color and fantastic story. But Sunshine? C'mon, you're pullin my leg.
                              sals54

Comment

Working...
                              X