1962 steering column horn setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: 1962 steering column horn setup

Does anyone have a picture of the horn wiring setup at the steering column that shows the exact configuration of the wiring and the plates with the steering wheel? Thanks, chet445

The '61 to '66 Models all use a brass Switch plate under the wheel, with a Horn Switch in the Housing below the wheel with a carbon contact to rub on the plate. The Plate has a wire attached going down to the Turn signal wiring Exit Hole in the Column near the Dash where it connects with a Female connector to the wire going to the Horn Relay under the Hood.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

When my Sky Hawk was being restored I was told that the horn mechanism was too screwed up to be repaired so he installed a button on the dash. Also the turn signals have to be held down when used. What's the deal here?
      peter lee

Comment

I can't imagine a horn mechanism being too screwed up to be fixed. Parts must be available or repairable.
        My 50 Land Cruiser only blows if I push the horn ring on the left side, so I need to remove it and clean the contact plate.

Comment

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
          When my Sky Hawk was being restored I was told that the horn mechanism was too screwed up to be repaired so he installed a button on the dash. Also the turn signals have to be held down when used. What's the deal here?
          Incompetent or lazy mechanic.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I finally figured that I have the internals correct for my '62 Hawk horn but a steering wheel from another Studebaker that is not compatible but I will be able to circumvent the problems. Yankee ingenuity will prevail.

Comment

All the answers are pictured in the chassis parts catalog.

Nothing needs to be modified. All you have to do is identify the correct parts and order them.

studebakervendors.com
              Last edited by RadioRoy; 10-22-2018, 10:16 PM.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Wish I had a chassis catalog but own only shop manual. I'm sure some vendor out there has the part I need but I'll continue with the modification which consists of a small thin brass plate with wire attached and placed on bottom side of steering wheel. The spring loaded prong will ride on the plate and the wire will go up through the hole and be in inserted in the receiver fixture on the top portion of steering wheel...slight modification but will work.

Comment

Working...
                X