Studebaker Brewing Co. to open Monday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Brewing Co. to open Monday

Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

That sounds interesting. A selection of six choices seems like enough. I occasionally drink bear, but am far from an expert. If I was in South Bend, I would try them all. Maybe that is the going price there, but seems like a real bargain to me. Their price of $5 for a pint vs. starting at $7 per glass in places where I am sure of the price around here.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I'll drink to that. Oh wait, I don't drink.
      Any of my extra money goes into car parts.

Comment

We'll definitely stop up there for a couple pints when we come up in May. Bill

Comment

On the 3rd floor. You have to go high to get high.

Comment

On a less auspicious note, I've mentioned in the past, if you happen to be passing close to Washington, PA just south of Pittsburgh, you might want to stop in at the Washington Brewing Company, located in the original pre-war Studebaker dealership. A building I worked in when it was a Dodge-Chrysler-Plymouth-Imperial dealership in the 1960's.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Washington Brewing Co..jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1724100 https://www.thewashingtonbrewingcompany.com/
            Last edited by rockne10; 10-21-2018, 11:49 AM.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The craft beer industry has really grown in the last two decades and there seems to be a leveling off of large brewers (competition) but what seems to be still working is small brewers that serve a local market and generally in a setup like the one mentioned here with a decent menu. Most craft brews here sell in the $5-6 range per pint and more expensive brews are served in smaller volumes to keep the price in the $5 range.

Personal opinion, six options is not enough to sustain a returning customer base. If you only serve six there should be a change out of them on a routine schedule. A lot of the folks I know that frequent these establishments not only enjoy craft beers but also enjoy trying different ones. If they don't want/can't brew a wider selection, there's not a problem with buying a few from outside brewers. In fact, tap takeovers, are a common thing locally where a brewer will supply all the brews for the taps available and help fund the advertising and serving of their brews.

There are a lot of local watering holes that are successfully carrying out this plan. Of course, I wouldn't be caught dead in one, WELL!! unless they have a good selection of porters and stouts.

No reason this one can't make it with a proper business plan.

Just Google Shorts Brewing (Bellaire, Elk Rapids - Mi) to see how successful you can become if you have a great business plan.

Bob

Comment

When I'm at our home in Gloeta (Santa Barbara), there are 5 micro breweries like this within 2 miles of the house and at least a dozen more before I'd get to Sterns wharf 14 miles away. Other than chores, It's about all there is to do there, try micro brews.

I want one of those Studebaker pint glasses! It would go nicely with my other Studebaker colectables, not to mention the other, 50 or so, different pint glasses I've collected. (got three new ones this week )

I'm with you Bob, give me a good porter or stout! In Santa Barabra they tend to cater to the college kids and primarily make over hopped IPA's that are almost undrinkable; KIDS! My favorite there is the "Mouthfull" porter from "M Special" brewing co, but I understand a new brewer there "Night Lizard" has a couple of good porters and a stout. I may get to try them next week when I'm back down there.

Comment

Posted by bensherb
                  I'm with you Bob, give me a good porter or stout! In Santa Barabra they tend to cater to the college kids and primarily make over hopped IPA's that are almost undrinkable; KIDS! My favorite there is the "Mouthfull" porter from "M Special" brewing co, but I understand a new brewer there "Night Lizard" has a couple of good porters and a stout. I may get to try them next week when I'm back down there.
                  The first real craft beer I had was in a small town in Arizona on our way to the GNRS in Pomona. About the only restaurant was a converted bank building and they had Arrogant Bastard on the menu from Stone Brewing. Yup! the arrogant bastard couldn't pass up Arrogant Bastard so I learned what a good beer was. Had two and luckily we were close to the motel and Judy drove us back. I'm looking at one of the bottles now setting in my small collection.

I agree about IPA's but the younger generation seems to love them. Luckily Michigan has a large number of Brewers and they all offer a couple of outstanding stouts and porters, including Angry Bastard. The one thing they do well is add just a small amount of other flavors like coffee, milk, vanilla etc. that keeps the full body of the stout but just rounds off the corners of it's taste to make them very drinkable.

Bob

Comment

Yep, Arrogant Bastard is not bad. One of the best stouts I found, decades ago, had a heavy cream added to it. It was great. From europe, only available in kegs, but it was only imported for a short time, no longer.

Comment

This has strayed a bit from Studebakers but thanks for calling me a kid. I drink IPAs exclusively. Any other beer tastes flat and tasteless. I am almost 80. At least we agree on good cars.
                      '49 2R15 Flatbed
                      '56 Golden Hawk
                      '62 GT Hawk
                      '63 Champ 8E 12
                      sigpic

Comment

All my Drinking Money is spent on Parts, but I'd make a beer run just to put the bottle on the shelf.

Comment

Working...
                        X