Progress Report.. Betty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progress Report.. Betty

Well Betty's been back on the road for a month now and in daily use for three weeks and 1,000 miles later. Aside from a finnicky choke when the car is cold (which coincidently seems to have healed itself). The car has been doing well. Int the past few days some of the odd sounds seem to have gone away and its running very well. Now that the engine is broke in, the car has picked up some power. Fuel economy has been ranging from about 16.9 to 20.8 depending on the traffic and the gas I use. It seems to run better on Shell gas. The oil pressure when cold is about 75, when its hot its around 55-60. Which if i'm not mistaken is excellent for a Studebaker. A word or caution to those wanting to use these daily, they are not like new cars and the need to be "tickled" to keep em going. You have to adjust yourself to the car rather than the other way around on the new stuff. It can be frustrating at times, but nothing beats knowing your not gonna pass another car like what your driving. In the Palm Springs area with all the bmw's, mercedes, etc its hard to turn a head with a car. Betty seems to do it daily and at a small fraction of the cost of those other vehicles.

Robert, you should be safe with all branded gas. With the exception
    of Arco and Chevron, most of the other stuff comes out of the same
    spigot....even though it may say Shell, Exxon-Mobil, UNOCAL and
    etc., on the side of the truck. But it's good to hear that Betty
    loves attention and is beginning to be real perky!

glen Brose - Perkinsville, AZ

Comment

Robert, you should be safe with all branded gas. With the exception
      of Arco and Chevron, most of the other stuff comes out of the same
      spigot....even though it may say Shell, Exxon-Mobil, UNOCAL and
      etc., on the side of the truck. But it's good to hear that Betty
      loves attention and is beginning to be real perky!

Comment

I'm not sure whats different on the Gases, if they are being watered down etc, but there is definitely a difference in gas mileage between the Chevron gas and the Shell (2mpg). I've been tracking everything really close with the car. Perhaps there is a difference in additives.

Comment

I'm not sure whats different on the Gases, if they are being watered down etc, but there is definitely a difference in gas mileage between the Chevron gas and the Shell (2mpg). I've been tracking everything really close with the car. Perhaps there is a difference in additives.

Comment

Sounds like there is need for a "Studebaker Gas Mileage Challenge"

Comment

Sounds like there is need for a "Studebaker Gas Mileage Challenge"

Comment

Cool deal, Bob! Sounds like you've got the right attitude to drive a Stude daily.

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Cool deal, Bob! Sounds like you've got the right attitude to drive a Stude daily.

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                  X