Studebakers on a Nash used car lot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebakers on a Nash used car lot.

Found this on today's The Old Motor site. Five Studebakers on a Nash used car lot.

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Cool Old Nash Used Car Lot pic!

I see a '56 Flight Hawk or Power Hawk, a Late '55 4 Door Sedan, a '53/'54 Starliner Hardtop, a '53/'54 Starlight Coupe and a '52 4 Door Sedan on the Lot.

The roof portion in the Lower Left corner resembles a '59 Lark Hardtop but that is too New for the 1957 Pic Date.

I just do not see ANYONE with a brain turning in all those Cool Studes. for any kind of a NASH or a Hash !

They had to have bought them off of a Studebaker used Car Lot or even Chev./Ford lot. Being also a Independent Make they might have sold well on a Nash Lot.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 10-13-2018, 12:16 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The Studebakers, and even the Cadillac, on the used-car lot sure don't make the Nashes look appealing, do they?
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

were the Nash sixes as gutless as the Studebaker sixes ?

Comment

Originally posted by kmul221 View Post
          were the Nash sixes as gutless as the Studebaker sixes ?
          Like Studebaker, Nash had a small flathead 6-cyl which was gutless. The larger cars had a 235" OHV6 which had better performance.

A tidbit of interest, Nash management had some guts Studebaker lacked. They partnered with Donald Healey.
          A Nash engine with dual carbs, was used in the '51-'54 Nash Healey; for sale years before the Corvette or Thunderbird. A lightweight racing Nash-Healey purpose-built for the race finished 3rd at Le Mans.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Looks like it would be a three ring circus if someone wanted to test drive anything that wasn't on the front row!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Downing-Nash-.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	1724041
            Last edited by Studedude; 10-13-2018, 03:17 PM.
            sigpic
            Dave Lester

Comment

According to the Nash Dealer website (nashparts.com), Downing Nash was located at 486 Peachtree Street N.W. Atlanta GA and was in business 1954/56.

So, if this info is factual, the pic couldn't have been taken in 1957.

I googled earthed the address, building is gone, replaced by a huge modern parking garage.

There's a similar looking 3 story building kitty-corner across the street, but it's not the same as it has 6 windows, not 5.
              Last edited by WinM1895; 10-13-2018, 03:13 PM.

Comment

While a lot of companies can claim some connection to the late American Motors Corporation, only Nash is virtually intertwined with it. It seemed that all AMC cars exuded the same Nash philosophy of providing a good value for money with a bit of delightful weirdness thrown on top. The Nash-Healey was an interesting performer but I don't think it would have lasted anyway given the fickle U.S. market towards newcomers.
                Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

"No Obligation" if you'd like to see the new Nash Healey in the showroom of Palma Motors without being bothered with sales talk. Just clip the coupon and pin it to your lapel! (Click on the image to enlarge.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	palmanashad.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	1724042

September 23 and 24, 1954....

BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

"I just do not see ANYONE with a brain turning in all those Cool Studes. for any kind of a NASH or a Hash !

They had to have bought them off of a Studebaker used Car Lot or even Chev./Ford lot. Being also a Independent Make they might have sold well on a Nash Lot."

I was thinking the same thing, who in their right mind would trade in a Studebaker on a Nash?
                    I think you are right that they needed something that would actually sell, so they stocked used Studebakers.

Comment

"I just do not see ANYONE with a brain turning in all those Cool Studes. for any kind of a NASH or a Hash !
                      Several of us here on this thread admit to having the occasional lapse of memory, but really, there was a long span when Studebakers were just very low value used cars. My memory is good enough to recall when $50 would buy an everyday driver Stude. A local fast-talking-used-car dealer ran TV ads and at the end there would be a few "fishing cars" and usually one Stude among them. The idea was these cars were so thoroughly depreciated, a few dead fish wouldn't lower the value.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

Keep in mind that there is no indication that any of these Studebakers were traded in on a Nash. They could have been purchased wholesale by the dealer, a practice still common today. They could have been traded in on a newer or different car of another brand. They could have been traded in at the dealer next door (Mercedes, etc.) which may have been connected to the Nash dealership in ownership, but not had their own used car lot.

I have worked at a couple and know of many used car lots where several cars had to be moved to get to the one that you want. In some places, like Main Street dealerships, space is at a premium. I even worked at a new car dealership that had a storage lot about half a mile away. They had a runner that just shuttled cars back and forth.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                          "No Obligation" if you'd like to see the new Nash Healey in the showroom of Palma Motors without being bothered with sales talk. Just clip the coupon and pin it to your lapel! (Click on the image to enlarge.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76313[/ATTACH]

BP
                          The "delivered in Paris" got me wondering why a USA, England, Italy car would be priced as delivered in France, then I remembered that your father's dealership was in Paris, IL.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                            "No Obligation" if you'd like to see the new Nash Healey in the showroom of Palma Motors without being bothered with sales talk. Just clip the coupon and pin it to your lapel!

Did you dad actually sell any Nash Healeys at that price?!??

What does your wonderful American Car Catalog show for Cadillac prices for 1954?

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                              Did you dad actually sell any Nash Healeys at that price?!??

What does your wonderful American Car Catalog show for Cadillac prices for 1954?

Craig
                              Not Bob and I don't have a "...wonderful...Catalog". A 1954 Eldorado convertible (top of the line) listed for $4738.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X