Project for Grandson and me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project for Grandson and me

Today my Grandson brought a friend and we went and bought a barn-find project to work on together. He’s just turned 16 and can’t wait to get a car(!) so we picked up this ‘65 Cruiser Click image for larger version

Name:	7D696229-E828-4B24-BB03-5F2EDF123CC6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	1759597 to bring back to life. It was last licensed in 1978 and has sat in this barn since then, near as we can tell. It’s a very unusual car, because it’s a Cruiser (Luxury) but is a total stripper: 283/ 3spd/ O.D. no PS no PB no AC radio delete and seller said it even came with dog dish hubcaps! He upgraded them but nothing else. Was parked because of a transmission problem. The engine was stuck, but came free, and it needs everything after sitting for decades. Super solid and rust-free! Beautiful floors and trunk. But it is supposed to be a learning tool to teach a interested young man all about cars, especially STUDEBAKERS! We really had to work at it to get it out of the barn where it had sunk into the earthClick image for larger version

Name:	A4059C67-9FD4-478E-9CB5-F23F18BA4EAB.jpg
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	1759598but we got it loose and loaded onto my trailer and towed it home, where the kids immediately were tasked with cleaning it up! We got the 1st (and 2nd!) layers of crud off, but still have a long way to go!Click image for larger version

Name:	44BD4B63-E991-4B7A-A387-0F92C753D7E3.jpg
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	1759599Click image for larger version

Name:	84E2BB07-22EF-4925-8293-D09CF2E49CAD.jpg
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	1759600it will be 2 years (at least) before he’s allowed to drive it, so in the mean time, we’ll have lots of work to do together!
    1950 Commander Land Cruiser
    1951 Champion Business Coupe
    1951 Commander Starlight
    1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
    1953 Champion Starlight
    1953 Commander Starliner
    1953 2R5
    1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
    1957 Silver Hawk
    1957 3E5 Pick-Up
    1959 Silver Hawk
    1961 Hawk
    1962 Cruiser 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
    1965 Cruiser
    1970 Avanti

That looks good enough to give it a good wax job to really make it shine. Great choice for a first car.

Comment

'Looks like an ideal project, needing just enough for the experience but not so much as to cause anyone to be discouraged part way through....and a nice combination as to power train. Congratulations! BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Having no radio can be a good thing. Even on my modern car, I haven't turned the radio on for the past 5 years because there is nothing worth listening to. Right away I found myself much more concentrating strictly on driving, and being on the lookout for distracted drivers around me. Surprisingly my 50 Land Cruiser also doesn't have a radio, and I don't miss it, except for the fact it makes the dash look a bit bare. It sure makes under dash work easier though.

Comment

Hope your grandson has a great time with the car and you too! Wonderful idea to get him outside and away from the gaming.
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

First of all, I congratulate you and your son for embarking on this project. You justly deserve the credit in keeping the Studebaker name in good standing. I have a 1962 GT Hawk myself, and while it may be much more impractical, it gives me as much fun as I could possible want. As for the radio, I plan on keeping the original AM unit in the dashboard simply for automotive jewelry. I don't really care for listening to music when I have a 289 cu. crescendo available!
            Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

List your Cruiser on the Cruiser registry. Looks like a very nice car and since it is a 1965 will be easier for him to work on but keeping with Studebaker.

Mark

Comment

There always seems to be the notion that a ‘65 or ‘66 is “easier” to work on, or maybe get parts for. As a long time Studebaker parts dealer, I can tell you that there are some parts that are unique to these that are not easy to find. Torque converter, torque converter drive plate, torque converter pilot adapter, automatic transmission kick down cable assembly, upper radiator hose, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullet View Post
                  List your Cruiser on the Cruiser registry. Looks like a very nice car and since it is a 1965 will be easier for him to work on but keeping with Studebaker.

Mark
                  Where do I find this registry?
                  1950 Commander Land Cruiser
                  1951 Champion Business Coupe
                  1951 Commander Starlight
                  1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
                  1953 Champion Starlight
                  1953 Commander Starliner
                  1953 2R5
                  1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
                  1957 Silver Hawk
                  1957 3E5 Pick-Up
                  1959 Silver Hawk
                  1961 Hawk
                  1962 Cruiser 4 speed
                  1963 Daytona Convertible
                  1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
                  1965 Cruiser
                  1970 Avanti

Comment

I was just going to say the same thing. I was driving my 65 Cruiser yesterday, when a Chevy guy told me how lucky I was to have a Chevy 283. Same reasoning, parts are easy and cheaper. However, most of us know we can get most 259 engine parts locally, just as easy as any GMC, and hard to find parts are a day away.

[aQUOTE=Studebakercenteroforegon;1131003]There always seems to be the notion that a ‘65 or ‘66 is “easier” to work on, or maybe get parts for. As a long time Studebaker parts dealer, I can tell you that there are some parts that are unique to these that are not easy to find. Torque converter, torque converter drive plate, torque converter pilot adapter, automatic transmission kick down cable assembly, upper radiator hose, etc.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Kenny,

Go to the SDC main web page. Click on resources. In the list you will see registries. Click on registries. I manage the 1964/65 Cruiser registry. The list will show what all information I collect. I do not list your name, only the state where the car/ you are located.

Happy to add your car to the list!

Mark

Comment

Nice looking Barn Find!
                        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                        X