Studebaker Performance Publication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Performance Publication

A while back, I was visiting with a fellow about Studebakers, and he offered me some old books that he had saved, after selling his car. One of them was this manual, full of information on performance, suspension, drivetrain, etc. I haven't had time to go through the entire book, but it looks to have a lot of good material in it.Click image for larger version

Name:	20181012_210409.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1759594Click image for larger version

Name:	20181012_171303.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	1759595 It was copyrighted in 1989, with Dick Datson as the editor. It is all black and white print and photos, with much of it typed out on a typewriter.
    I was just curious whether any of you more experienced members were familiar with it, or how rare it might be. Both photos rotated 180 degrees, but they are the covers of the publication.
    Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Dick Datson kept the Studebaker Performance flame when few others were doing so. We owe him a great debt of gratitude. He was a contributor, but mostly an editor. The faithful, among them Ted Harbit, Tom Covington, Jim Lange, Dave Lavesque, et al, supplied him with much material found in his publications.

Read them carefully, but get a second opinion before implementing anything you find in there. We've learned a lot since then.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

They are around. I sold a complete set of his pubs at the March 2017 York meet. Dick was a controversial character who had both supporters and detractors.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
        They are around. I sold a complete set of his pubs at the March 2017 York meet. Dick was a controversial character who had both supporters and detractors.
        He's still alive, isn't he, Skip? (I'm not being funny; I really don't know.) BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I think so,but don't know either. I used the past tense because he doesn't seem to be actively involved in Studebakers any more.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

I thought I saw a notice a little while back that he had passed away, maybe a year or two. In my brothers "stuff" that I collected after his passing in February there was a treasure trove of Dicks and others performance literature. I haven't gone through it all yet but am anxious to do so. Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
              I think so,but don't know either. I used the past tense because he doesn't seem to be actively involved in Studebakers any more.
              OK, Skip; thanks.

Perhaps someone will see this discussion and post definitively as to Dick's whereabouts, even if six feet under. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Just found this thread by doing a Google search.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                  He's still alive, isn't he, Skip? (I'm not being funny; I really don't know.) BP
                  Bill Hahn (Shifter 44) might know. He's in Florida also and was close to Dick back in the day.

Comment

To save time , here is my post from the last time that Dick Datson's name came up :

BTW , here is a link to my Flickr photostream : I am a car nut , but a Palm Tree nut too .

Explore Bill H’s 1,231 photos on Flickr!

D.Datson 2018 by Bill H, on Flickr
                    Bill H
                    Daytona Beach
                    SDC member since 1970
                    Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

Thanks all for the replys. On my phone , so will keep it brief. It will be interesting to spend more time in that book.
                      Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Working...
                      X