Info about '62 GT Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info about '62 GT Hawk

I am looking at a '62 GT Hawk and trying to determine if it is totally 'legit'. Can someone provide some info (which I'm certain is available on a production order, but as a CASO I don't want to spend $40 for a production order until/if I buy the car). Serial number is 62V40286. Thanks in advance.
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Serial number not listed in the GT Hawk Registry.

What do you mean by "legit?"
    Bill L.
    1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Bill, it has power steering, air conditioning (looks like factory) and a 4 speed. Since I think the 4 speed with the A/C might be unusual, I's like to know if it was built that way.
      Thanks.
      '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)

Comment

Does the Dash Unit resemble this '63 GT?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Black 63 W_AC unusual2.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	1723966 Or this '64? > Click image for larger version

Name:	Horizon Green '64 Seats.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	1723967

The A/C with 4 Speed is a bit more rare than with Automatic, but not really uncommon.

If it is quite different, it may be a Mark IV or other Aftermarket A/C.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That is a very late in model year 1962 car (built in South Bend).

EDIT: About 5K from the end of all V8 Larks and Hawks for the 1962 model year.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
            Bill, it has power steering, air conditioning (looks like factory) and a 4 speed. Since I think the 4 speed with the A/C might be unusual, I's like to know if it was built that way.
            Thanks.
            Howard,

I had a 62 GT built like that with 4 speed, and Factory A/C. It was built in late October 61 and the production order had Tucson as the destination. Sold it about 26 years ago. One of many I should have kept. It did not have power steering or brakes. It was white/blue interior.

Bob Miles

Comment

I looked at one outfitted the same in the mid-60's at a local Shivy dealer in south-central KS that they wanted $1200 for. So, apparently not too rare at the time.

(btw, instead, I used the cash for the first year of tuition and books at a private college)

Comment

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
                Thanks.
                my 62 GT hawk has factory a/c; auto trans not 4 speed.
                the car is currently stripped down to a bare chassis. I took photos of everything I took apart if you need specifics on something.
                Dell
                59 Silver Hawk
                62 GT Hawk

Comment

No way to tell exactly how it was originally unless you have the production order. Best way is to just look it over really well to be sure it hasn't been buggered up really badly. or get the window sticker.

Comment

Thanks all for your help. I pulled the trigger about 2 weeks ago and bought the car. I got it started fairly easily (runs pretty well). I discovered a Studebaker Corp tag on the A/C compressor, so it looks like it came that way. As soon as I go thru the brakes and lights and determine that it's safe to drive, I'll take it on a short shakedown cruise. Stay tuned!

Comment

Actually that just means you have a Original York or the other brand used by Studebaker that COULD have been, Factory, Dealer or later on, more recently owner installed, it does not mean it was Factory installed.

The only difference other than having the Production order to prove it's original, is the H.D. Air Conditioning Front Coil Springs would be missing.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                      X