B-I-L's '49 Champion conv. parts car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-I-L's '49 Champion conv. parts car

My B-I-L recently bought what was presented as a '49 Champion convertible parts car, to use in maintaining his very nice '49 Champion convertible. He knows that '47-49 cars are almost identical. The parts car doesn't have a grille. He says the serial no. is 423966 (from the door jamb plate). Does anybody who knows '49's know that this is a '49 serial no.? He's curious that that's what he really bought, that's all. Or, does anybody know which TW was about '49 cars? I have 30 years of them at home but am out-of-town with business now. Thanks.
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

My 1947-50 Chassis Parts Catalog show that to be a 1949 Champion number, about a third of the way into the years numbers.

Comment

Thanks much!
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
        My 1947-50 Chassis Parts Catalog show that to be a 1949 Champion number, about a third of the way into the years numbers.
        I agree with this and will add that it was from South Bend, not Vernon (LA) or Hamilton.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
        I agree with this and will add that it was from South Bend, not Vernon (LA) or Hamilton.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Bill: The published Turning Wheels Index through 2015 shows that no feature article was written by Fred Fox for 1949 models exclusively.

However, Fred's December 1981 Turning Wheels Feature Article is devoted to 1947-1949 models inclusive, so that's the one Harley wants to see. There were follow-up items to that feature article ("recaps") in the February, April, and June 1982 issues of Turning Wheels. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

There are differences in the dashes and bumpers to differentiate between the three years, as well as the grille. Plus the rear frame portion and trunk floor got the stand-up spare on '49s.
            KURTRUK
            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Thanks all. Bob, special thanks for the TW leads too. Sounds that the car is definitely a South Bend-built-'49.
              Bill Pressler
              Kent, OH
              All are in Australia now

Comment

Just occurred to me--I only joined SDC in time to first get the Dec. '86 TW. I have bought an occasional older one after that. I'll look and see.
                Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                All are in Australia now

Comment

My B-I-L sent me pic showing the body tag to be 8G-S2 3867. He said the manual he has shows that to be a Regal DeLuxe. Does anybody know if there was more than one trim level on a '49 Champion convertible? I don't have the TW's that would indicate this. He says it has a different steering wheel and center than his other '49 convert and that "the chrome taillight covers" are different on both cars".

His other car was restored and has a non-'49 grille, so it's possible, I guess, that the wheel and taillights have been changed.

Thanks in advance for your help.
                  Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  All are in Australia now

Comment

My parts book only shows the one S-2 trim level. I don't know anything about possible mid year changes to parts however.

Comment

The chassis parts books does show two steering wheels and horn buttons for '49 models, but only the type 'C' used on Regal Deluxe. Also shows only one tail light housing, so probably parts from different years. A photo might identify them. There is a TW article on the '49 models in June 1990 issue.
                      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                        My B-I-L sent me pic showing the body tag to be 8G-S2 3867. He said the manual he has shows that to be a Regal DeLuxe. Does anybody know if there was more than one trim level on a '49 Champion convertible? I don't have the TW's that would indicate this. He says it has a different steering wheel and center than his other '49 convert and that "the chrome taillight covers" are different on both cars".

His other car was restored and has a non-'49 grille, so it's possible, I guess, that the wheel and taillights have been changed.

Thanks in advance for your help.
                        There is only one Champion model convertible for the 1949 model year. It is 8G-S2 a Regal Deluxe. (Also, only one '49 Commander convertible, a 16A-S2.)
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                        X