1955 Speedster Needs to be Completed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 Speedster Needs to be Completed

The seats look nice, and under all the years of dust, I'd think the body looks good also.
    In fact this car looks like it should have been left together and original. When I was younger I thought everything is better when it's restored, but now I like good original unrestored cars as much or more than restored ones.

What’s an Oklahoma frame?

Comment

I assumed a replacement frame from OK. Being from Minneapolis, I would guess a lot of rust. The price seems a bit high for a project of that magnitude.
      78 Avanti RQB 2792
      64 Avanti R1 R5408
      63 Avanti R1 R4551
      63 Avanti R1 R2281
      62 GT Hawk V15949
      56 GH 6032504
      56 GH 6032588
      55 Speedster 7160047
      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
        I assumed a replacement frame from OK. Being from Minneapolis, I would guess a lot of rust. The price seems a bit high for a project of that magnitude.
        I agree. I do not see any mention of or pictures of an engine and transmission. That is the best original Speedster interior (seats) that I have seen in a long time. For free, I think that one would be upside-down in this car.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
          What’s an Oklahoma frame?
          Less rust!!!

Comment

I paid about $6000 for a "roller" (see www.tobyknollgarage.com), no engine or trans., but it was an original standard shift car (one of 151). The frame was "ok" but needed a lot of attention.
            Toby Knoll Garage

www.tobyknollgarage.com
            ______

'51 Muntz Jet
            '53 Woodill Wildfire/Dodge
            '54 Hudson Hornet Grand National Tribute car
            '55 Studebaker Speedster/Cadillac
            '56 Corvette SR replica

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
              In fact this car looks like it should have been left together and original.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...700958252.html
              I agree with Tom.

Many, many good cars have been turned into basket cases or parts cars by people who took them apart and could not put them back together again. It's too bad the the public consciousness, the standard way of thinking, the common knowledge, tells newbies that they should take the car apart. Without even questioning why, most newbies start taking cars apart. Where did this come from? Magazine articles in Hot Rod? Watching all those pimp my ride TV shows? Why does everyone think they should take their cars apart?
              Last edited by RadioRoy; 10-08-2018, 10:43 AM.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

i have a transmission for $500 in mass. in dracut ma

Comment

I agree completely with you guys indicating the pitfalls of ripping a good car apart without the resolve or resources necessary to complete the project. A body on component restoration is usually all that is required, and the car can usually be enjoyed during the process. No post war Studebaker is valuable enough to sustain a complete restoration. I've done it and I don't regret it, it was a labor of love, and I knew what I was letting myself in for when I started the project.-Bill

Comment

Working...
                  X