Trunk lid adjustment 62 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trunk lid adjustment 62 Hawk

Trying to close gap at front of lid but can't get it to move forward.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	1759489Click image for larger version

Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	1759490Click image for larger version

Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	1759491

I don't think the gap is the issue, I think you need a new gasket. Metal gaps of 1/2" were common.
    It is an addiction!

Comment

I agree with jbwhttail. If the back and bottom of the trunk lid fits the opening, there is not much way to adjust the gap in the front. It seems like the body panels had adjustments built in to make them fit flush with each other, but they didn't really worry about the gaps.
      Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

The gap does not look bad. The important thing is that it is even and level. Your gasket looks like some sort of replacement, not an original one.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I had issues with my 64 Hawk....had the hinges rebuilt....problem solved!
          Lou Van Anne
          62 Champ
          64 R2 GT Hawk
          79 Avanti II

Comment

Often either the hinges or the mount on the body or deck lid get bent over the years from forcing the deck lid closed with too much "stuff" in the trunk..Usually you can remedy this by opening the deck lid and applying some pressure, pushing the deck lid open more, reversing the action that caused the damage before. If it's just minor bending, this may fix it. Other times it requires some magic bodywork if it's too badly bent.
            I agree that your trunk seal looks to be a generic piece that may be forcing the deck lid to set too high giving you the appearance of a wider gap.
            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
            1950 Champion Convertible
            1950 Champion 4Dr
            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

From your pics, the gap of your deck lid appears better than most any I've seen. Even with NOS hinges the front gap of my deck lid is almost twice as wide as yours is when the sides are even and it will still close without hitting.
              Last edited by bensherb; 09-26-2018, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Thanks for answers, guess I'll let it be. Do have new aftermarket correct seal but that hasn't changed the gap just thought it should be about 1/4" on all sides.

Comment

I agree with bensherd the gaps of your deck lid look pretty good and better than some I've seen, I'd be happy with that !! Cheers

Comment

One thing we all have to remember. The fit and finish of cars up until maybe the late 80s where not what they are today. If that's what you want it's going to take a lot of body work and grinding in more adjustments with a die grinder.

Comment

A trunk lid that needs to be moved forward and down a bit can be adjusted by putting some shims under the forward hinge bolts only. Been there done that on several Studebakers. Loosen both hinge to body bolts and the bolt that attaches hinge to the wheel well. Shim front hinge to body stud only on both sides. Tighten hinge nuts first then hinge to wheel well bolt. Some side to side adjustment is provided by slotted hinges at trunk lid.
                      Frank van Doorn
                      Omaha, Ne.
                      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                        The fit and finish of cars up until maybe the late 80s where not what they are today.
                        So true. One of the recent Mecum auctions had a bright yellow '68 Dart with factory big-block in the top 10; the car was restored to better-than-new condition and sold for hundreds of thousands of dollars, and all I could see when it crossed the stage was the 1/2" gap between the front fenders and leading edge of the doors.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                        X