No announcement yet.

What type of engine do I have ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: What type of engine do I have ?

I am new at this: I bought a 1963 Lark Daytona, 289, 4bbL, bucket sets, 4 speed. I got all the manuals but I am still not sure what engine I have: R-1 or R-2 or Thunderbolt ? Can some one help me, My engine code is P-95876. (The car is a one owner and all stock)
    Last edited by Beachamp1; 09-22-2018, 06:54 AM. Reason: Mistake

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on such a nice, fast car.

R-1 is a performance engine with a 4 barrel, R-2 has a supercharger. I have no idea what a thunderbolt is. The shop manual should explain this. Hopefully you also have the chassis parts catalog and the body parts catalog. They show almost every part on the car, its correct name, and part number, and how the parts go together. The Studebaker vendors use these part numbers to give you the correct part.

Your car is a Daytona, not a Dayton.

For some reason, many new-to-Studebaker owners think that the car must be redesigned with parts from other brands to make it work better. Studebakers are well designed and if something does not work right, it merely needs to be repaired/re-bushed and not redesigned.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 09-21-2018, 05:40 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

You have a 1963 Presisent (regular 289). Not a R1 or R2.

Comment

If I remember correctly, the name Thunderbolt was used for the 283's in 1965 and 1966. and not on any engine used prior to that. Bud

Comment

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Bobby!

Per our V8 Engine Serial number breakdown Chart here:

P95876 is a Stude. 289 for a 1963 Lark or Hawk, just as it Should be. '62-'63 Lark VIII's and '64 V8 Lark Types, came standard with the 259 c.i.d. V8 Engine with the 289 2V and 4V as options.

In Advertising Pamphlets, Dealer Showroom Books etc. the Advertising Agency referred to the 259 as the "Power Thrust 259" and the 289 was known as the "Thunderbolt 289" at least in 1964, and that is why the Name "carryover" happened on '65 and '66's including the Black Engine with Yellow Valve Covers (early '65) to camouflage the GM Engines to look like Studebaker engines.

They even used artists conceptions of the Stude. V8 borrowed from the 1964 Studebaker Engine advertising on the '65 and '66 Literature!
          Last edited by StudeRich; 09-22-2018, 09:56 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the input. I guess that I have a R-1 engine since I have a 4BBL. Carb. I do have all the manuals but no where in them could I find where it said that. Thanks again, I am learning. Yes it is a nice looking car, it was stored for 28 years, I am having fun.

Comment

Thanks, from what people are telling me I have a R-1 engine because I have a 4 BBL. Carb.

Comment

Originally posted by Beachamp1 View Post
                Thanks, from what people are telling me I have a R-1 engine because I have a 4 BBL. Carb.
                I believe you have a standard 289 with the 4 barrel option. Still a fine engine.
                If I remember correctly, the R series engine would have an R in the engine number.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by Beachamp1 View Post
                  What people are telling you is wrong. If there was a R1 installed in a Lark or Hawk for 63 it would have the intials JT then followed by a sequence of numbers. If the engine was an R2 (supercharged) it would have the intials of JTS followed by a sequence of numbers. All engines with a P in the starting number for cars indicates a 289. The only exception for this would be the 1955 V8 that started with a P. That was a President model with a 259. The sequence of numbers would be low for the 1955 models.

All Avanti models have a R in front of the stamped serial number on the left engine pad.

The best way to see if your car as it is now came from South Bend is to get a production order. This is the link taken from the forum home page:
                  Dive into the history of your vehicle with a Studebaker production order. Learn more about your vehicle's original configuration so that your restoration projects proceeds in perfect order!

The order will contain all the options engine number key numbers and all the information on your car.

If you can, come to the Zone Meet held this year in Palm Springs, CA. It will be held October 18-20. Contact Frank Wenzel or Don Cox. You can also find that information on the SDC Home Page

Bob Miles
                  Pacific Southwest Zone Coordinator 2018-2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
                    If I remember correctly, the name Thunderbolt was used for the 283's in 1965 and 1966. and not on any engine used prior to that. Bud
                    Correct. The Thunderbolts are McKinnon 283's. Essentially a Canadian Chevy 283 with a long running discussion as to whether the innards were forged - or not. The images are a McKinnon transplant in my '64 Daytona. Image #1 as I bought it, image #2 as I sold it. So, lots of changes. But the valve cover decal appeared to be original.
                    Attached Files
                    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

INCORRECT. YES, it was called that in '65 & '66, but it was NOT the first usage.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                      X