Decoding Vin' s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decoding Vin' s

I need help decoding Vin's for Studebakers. I have searched the interrnet and can not find a site that decodes them.

Thanks.

PS... I have three Non-Studebaker classic vehicles, have been working and driving them for years. I bought a 57 Commander last spring, then a 1960 Lark VIII. My other vehicles are up-set with me as the lark is now all repainted, new interior, mechanically ready for the summer fun. My other rigs are feeling neglected. The old 57 Commander has seen better days but I spent all day Sunday working on that, and I don't seem to care that the other rigs need love too. What is up with that? My Parents and grandparents had Studebakers, they said they were the best cars they have ever owned. I need to work on the other cars too, I seem to have more interest in the Studebakers. I need a diagnosis on this mental illness!

Glenn in Oregon

Glenn Anderson
    1957 Commander
    1960 Lark 4Dr Sedan

There is really not much to decode. A sequential number (year and 6 or V8 for the later cars). There is a body tag on the firewall (engine side, passenger side) that will tell you year, model, trim level, and sequential number of the body.

If you have the chassis or body parts manual for your car, the serial number ranges are listed there.

Post your numbers here and I'm sure somebody will help...but again, there is not much to decode.

If you want the full story on your car (date built, engine number, accessories, options, etc.) you can order the production order for it from the Studebaker National Museum...

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks for the help, leave it to Studebaker to KISS (Keep It Simple Sir).

Glenn

Glenn Anderson
      1957 Commander
      1960 Lark 4Dr Sedan

Comment

You can add your '57 to my Registry by sending the info to~

studedavesregistry 'at' sbcglobal.net

See more here:

StudeDave [8D]
        V/P San Diego County SDC
        San Diego, Ca

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
        '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
        '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
        '57 Parkview (she's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
        '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
        '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC