No announcement yet.

Oil pressure gauge install.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: Oil pressure gauge install.

I have just purchased an oil pressure gauge with an electric sender.This would be for a '63 289.The instructions seem pretty straightforward and easy to understand (yes I've installed a few gauges in my brand Xs over the years).Due to the size of the sender I have decided to go with a remote installation (will probably attach it to the firewall).To do this however I will need a short braided steel line.I know one end of this line will have to be 1/8" NPT female to attach to the sender,but what size male thread would go into the engine (at the very rear top of the engine)?Any help would be appreciated.FWIW it's an AutoMeter gauge and the 289 is not a full-flow (I think that's the right term?).

Originally posted by rusty65 View Post
    I have just purchased an oil pressure gauge with an electric sender.This would be for a '63 289.The instructions seem pretty straightforward and easy to understand (yes I've installed a few gauges in my brand Xs over the years).Due to the size of the sender I have decided to go with a remote installation (will probably attach it to the firewall).To do this however I will need a short braided steel line.I know one end of this line will have to be 1/8" NPT female to attach to the sender,but what size male thread would go into the engine (at the very rear top of the engine)?Any help would be appreciated.FWIW it's an AutoMeter gauge and the 289 is not a full-flow (I think that's the right term?).
    The sender should screw directly into the passenger side head where the original oil gauge line was connected.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

A 1/8 Inch Pipe thread Male Fitting will screw into the Right Cyl. Head, but it may need an adapter/elbow etc. to go to your Fitting thread.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        A 1/8 Inch Pipe thread Male Fitting will screw into the Right Cyl. Head, but it may need an adapter/elbow etc. to go to your Fitting thread.
        Yes an elbow may be the solution as the sender is a bit on the chubby side and it won't screw directly into the head.I'll have to give that a try.

Comment

My question is why? All 63s had a direct reading oil pressure gauge.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
            My question is why? All 63s had a direct reading oil pressure gauge.
            Perhaps he wants to eliminate that flex line and the metal one it attaches to that tends to break and spray oil all over everything. I've never had a leak from an electric gauge.
            Last edited by bensherb; 09-21-2018, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
              Perhaps he want to eliminate that flex line and the metal one it attaches to that tends to break and spray oil all over everything. I've never has a leak from an electric gauge.
              Actually the engine is from a '63 and is currently in my new (to me) '60 Lark.A previous owner installed an aftermarket pressure gauge and the tubing leaked pretty bad.I figured I'd eliminate that problem by putting in an electric gauge.

Comment

Working...
              X