Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member 1959 Lark VI Barn Save

Here is the background.

Grandpa bought this Lark 25-30 years. I don’t know where from but pretty sure it was somewhere in northern Minnesota. He passed 20 years ago. It has been sitting, buried on family farm, ever since.

It was recently offered to me (as a grandson) and I went and got it.

Pics tell a better story.

Attached Files

More with a wash at the pump house.
    Attached Files

Comment

What is up with those mirrors?

Looks to be in great shape though.

Not sure how bad that paint is- that may be fixable somewhat easily (someone with more expertise can chime in). Do you have larger photos? These are kinda small.

Comment

Looks like a great start

Comment

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Josh!

This appears to be a 1959 Lark VI (VI = Six) for 6 Cylinder Flathead 170 c.i.d. Engine.

It is a W6 Model, top of the line "Regal" 4 Door Sedan.

It will be very drive-able on more types and speeds of Roads and Highways/Interstates if it has the 3 Speed Manual Transmission WITH Overdrive. (Chrome "T" Handle marked: "O.D." under the Left side of the Dash).

The Serial Number plate for Registration purposes is on the Forward Drivers Door Post.

The Number should start with "59S" for a 1959 6 Cyl. Studebaker and the number following that is the Sequential Assembly Line Sequence number among all 6 Cyl. 1959 Studebaker Cars built at the South Bend Plant.

Much more info about this Car on the "Production Order" is available, but must be purchased from the Studebaker National Museum in the Home of Studebaker... South Bend, Indiana.

You will want to get a Bill of Sale as a Family Gift from the Executor of the Estate for 0 Dollars and try to find your Grandpa's Title if possible.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 09-17-2018, 05:39 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I love these kind of stories. Fix it up drive it around and remember Grandpa. I have my Grandfathers Studebaker as well
            1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Very cool! Awesome that it's a family vehicle too!

Comment

Originally posted by creegster View Post
                What is up with those mirrors?

Looks to be in great shape though.

Not sure how bad that paint is- that may be fixable somewhat easily (someone with more expertise can chime in). Do you have larger photos? These are kinda small.
                I have no idea about the mirrors. I assumed they were original. I have done lots of looking around and have not seen them anywhere. When looking at the car it isn’t a hack job. It looks totally legit.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Josh!

This appears to be a 1959 Lark VI (VI = Six) for 6 Cylinder Flathead 170 c.i.d. Engine.

It is a W6 Model, top of the line "Regal" 4 Door Sedan.

It will be very drive-able on more types and speeds of Roads and Highways/Interstates if it has the 3 Speed Manual Transmission WITH Overdrive. (Chrome "T" Handle marked: "O.D." under the Left side of the Dash).

The Serial Number plate for Registration purposes is on the Forward Drivers Door Post.

The Number should start with "59S" for a 1959 6 Cyl. Studebaker and the number following that is the Sequential Assembly Line Sequence number among all 6 Cyl. 1959 Studebaker Cars built at the South Bend Plant.

Much more info about this Car on the "Production Order" is available, but must be purchased from the Studebaker National Museum in the Home of Studebaker... South Bend, Indiana.

You will want to get a Bill of Sale as a Family Gift from the Executor of the Estate for 0 Dollars and try to find your Grandpa's Title if possible.
                  Thanks for the welcome. Much appreciated. I dont have a pic of the door tag but I have seen it. It does start with 59S. I was wondering what model it is. It has what appears to be the original flathead 6. It does have the 3 speed with OD handle under the dash. I am working on titling it. The title is nowhere to be found but not looked for very hard. It may show up yet.

Comment

More pics???
                    Attached Files

Comment

That is a really nice looking Lark. Glad to have you among us.
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Both of my grandfathers drove Studebakers....can't get any better than that!
                        Originally posted by Kurt View Post
                        I love these kind of stories. Fix it up drive it around and remember Grandpa. I have my Grandfathers Studebaker as well
                        Lou Van Anne
                        62 Champ
                        64 R2 GT Hawk
                        79 Avanti II

Comment

That appears to be a MUCH Loved little Lark! I think your Grandfather cared a Lot about saving it.

If it was stored in the Barn a good part of it's life, it should not have a lot of "Studebaker Terminator"...

RUST!
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That's a fine looking car, and will be a lot of fun. You'll stand out at the car shows because you have something different and better than what the big 3 offered.

Comment

One of the few 4 door vehicles that looks as good as the 2 door.

Comment

Working...
                              X