Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 61' Tail lights

Hello,

I am once again bringing up the topic of the tail ligh lenses for a 1961 Lark. I have two pairs now, but they are not in the best shape as far as the chrome plating is concerned.

What I am seeking now is if anyone knows of a place that re-chromes them or am I going to be stuck with using that cheap "chrome" spray paint that doesn't come out as good as they say it does.

thank you
    1947 Studebaker M-5
    1946 Studebaker M-5
    1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
    1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
    1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

These lenses are not chrome plated. They are coated/sputtered/evaporated with a high vacuum process, probably with aluminum. There are companies that do this type of work on plastic parts. The problem is that they usually do the whole part, not just some of the interior area as on these lenses. I would guess that to get used lenses refinished properly would cost as much as you can buy new lenses for.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

These lenses are not chrome plated. They are coated/sputtered/evaporated with a high vacuum process, probably with aluminum. There are companies that do this type of work on plastic parts. The problem is that they usually do the whole part, not just some of the interior area as on these lenses. I would guess that to get used lenses refinished properly would cost as much as you can buy new lenses for.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

The holy grail appears on Ebay again:

Mark Anderson
        Member SDC and FMCA
        Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!
        Almost as fun as a Studebaker!

Comment

The holy grail appears on Ebay again:

Mark Anderson
          Member SDC and FMCA
          Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry

My next Studebaker is in the future, but now getting my hair messed up in a Sebring ragtop!
          Almost as fun as a Studebaker!

Comment

I won't be seeking these anymore as I bought three of them just a while ago in good enough shape for restoration...plus the price was right.
            1947 Studebaker M-5
            1946 Studebaker M-5

Comment

I won't be seeking these anymore as I bought three of them just a while ago in good enough shape for restoration...plus the price was right.
              1947 Studebaker M-5
              1946 Studebaker M-5

Comment

Regarding the 61 Lark tail light, here is a link to an ad by the supplier to Studebaker. You can click on the ad to make it larger.

It was found on the Missouri/Illinois Gateway Chapter Studebaker Drivers Club:

This Chapter's site also contains a plethora of Studebaker
                advertisement from 1960 forward. Some of it is familiar but a lot of the material I have never seen before.

Bill Sapp
                Hamlet, NC

Comment

Regarding the 61 Lark tail light, here is a link to an ad by the supplier to Studebaker. You can click on the ad to make it larger.

It was found on the Missouri/Illinois Gateway Chapter Studebaker Drivers Club:

This Chapter's site also contains a plethora of Studebaker
                  advertisement from 1960 forward. Some of it is familiar but a lot of the material I have never seen before.

Bill Sapp
                  Hamlet, NC

Comment

That's quite a find! made of Plexiglas and Rohm & Haas Implex huh! Interesting.

I think they invented the process and sold the material, but not necessarily MADE the Lense! Unless they also owned the Manufacturing Co. cast in the Lenses known as: "AL".

StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That's quite a find! made of Plexiglas and Rohm & Haas Implex huh! Interesting.

I think they invented the process and sold the material, but not necessarily MADE the Lense! Unless they also owned the Manufacturing Co. cast in the Lenses known as: "AL".

StudeRich
                      Studebakers Northwest
                      Ferndale, WA
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

In Hemmings I have read that Paul's Chrome Plating Co, (that seems to be a serious business) announces that now they plate plastics. Their web site is paulschrome.com

I live in Chile so I don't have any connection with them nor have been a customer. Only I read it. Can be interesting to explore the re plating of the Lark rear lenses

Studebakerchile

Comment

In Hemmings I have read that Paul's Chrome Plating Co, (that seems to be a serious business) announces that now they plate plastics. Their web site is paulschrome.com

I live in Chile so I don't have any connection with them nor have been a customer. Only I read it. Can be interesting to explore the re plating of the Lark rear lenses

Studebakerchile

Comment

I wish I had one worn, yet still saveable '61 lens to help you. There is a great plastic chrome only plant here in Cleveland called A-Brite. I'd like to show them one and see what they can come up with to repair the old ones. Three C notes is getting crazy for you '61 guys..

Comment

I wish I had one worn, yet still saveable '61 lens to help you. There is a great plastic chrome only plant here in Cleveland called A-Brite. I'd like to show them one and see what they can come up with to repair the old ones. Three C notes is getting crazy for you '61 guys..

Comment

Working...
                              X