Some Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Numbers

OK I finally got the numbers off the car in the shop. The Vin# is 7165543 and the under hood tag reads 6H-K5, 61438, 327, 067

When I painted the silver on the frame for my Hawk the "secret" frame numbers magically appeared. They are 7215449

So Bob Palma and you other experts what doe these numbers tell us?

Dan

Car Serial Number (VIN) 7165543 is a 6H 1955 President

Car Serial Number, on frame is a 1958 President, to "Almost" properly FIT a K5 Hardtop Body it must have been a '58 Silver Hawk coupe.

Body 6H-K5 is a 6H 1955 President State Hardtop

The rest of those numbers on the Body Tag should not be there, 61,438 could be the Body Line sequence Number, but I have no idea why you have the 327, 067!

So is this "thing" a 1955 President Hardtop?

Someone who has the 1955 Production Numbers built might be able to decipher those body Numbers but it really means very little.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 09-09-2018, 11:04 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Stude Rich,

The only thing I know for sure is that Yes, it is a hardtop body. Beyond that it is not mine but I need to know how to fill out the paperwork when it ships out of country.

The frame number is interesting as it was sold to me as a 9559 but of course how do you know for sure if you don't run the vin. So now I need to go by the house of the guy who has the body and get the number off of it. Having the frame number will come in handy if God forbid the car is ever stolen as who but a Stude guy would even know there is a frame number. So thanks for sorting that out for me. Sad thing is back in the 70's I knew all this stuff in my head but it is all long gone.

Comment

Sure would like to see a pic of that body tag. Are those extra numbers on an attached 'streamer'? They could be something used in the LA plant.
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Dwain I will take picture and post it.
          Dan

Comment

Do you have a clear title for this car? If not, getting one could be problematic due to having conflicting vin and frame numbers. Just according to how far the DMV goes to verify information.
            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
            1950 Champion Convertible
            1950 Champion 4Dr
            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
              Sure would like to see a pic of that body tag. Are those extra numbers on an attached 'streamer'? They could be something used in the LA plant.
              The Serial Number ("VIN") is for a South Bend car, not a Vernon (LA) car.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by SilverHawkDan View Post
                Stude Rich,/Cut/So now I need to go by the house of the guy who has the body and get the number off of it. Having the frame number will come in handy if God forbid the car is ever stolen as who but a Stude guy would even know there is a frame number. So thanks for sorting that out for me. Sad thing is back in the 70's I knew all this stuff in my head but it is all long gone.
                You would be amazed what these computerized "Geeks" at DMV's and State Patrol Officers know about these Cars!

I have two instances of them grinding on my frames and looking for those Numbers and I did not say a word about WHERE they were. One in Barstow Calif.
                I could not believe just last year, two 20 something GIRLS from the Wash. State Patrol got under my Lark with Dewalt drills with wire brushes and found what they were looking for. Good thing it was all legit!
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                X