Nothing lasts forever....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nothing lasts forever....

Maybe 15-20 years ago, I rode out with Jim Turner to the York Swap Meet. We were to stop at Studebaker
    International
    on our way east out of Indianapolis. Our mission was to pick up some late orders Ed Reynolds wanted to deliver to customers at York; orders Ed had received since he had left for York a couple days earlier.

By the time Jim and I got to Studebaker International, I realized I had forgotten my hat. So I bought one at SI; a green one with a Studebaker "S" logo. Through the years, it's been in several Turning Wheels photos (on my head) and has become sort of a trademark. Once or twice I forgot it and someone asked, "Where is your green hat?"

Well, it was looking kind of dingy, so I decided I'd better wash it before boarding the plane for Tacoma Tuesday morning the 28th. So I doused it with heavy-duty pre-treat stain remover and tossed it in the washing machine on super cycle with some other last-minute clothes.

Suffice to say it won't be coming along:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0318[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1759335
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Oh bummer!!!

Comment

Hold on to it or put it on Ebay, my teenager wears pants that looks like that!

Comment

Well the good news is, the " S " LOGO survived!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Just wear it the way the kids do today with the bill in the back and you will never know it's torn.

Comment

Wouldn't a little body fill fix that?
            Bill Jarvis

Comment

Back in the day on the farm, grandma would have used a piece of green shirt that otherwise fell apart and sewed it back together.... I remember my Mom patching blown out knees on Dad's coveralls with the saved remains of old jeans.

I've never had good luck trying to wash a cap, even hand wash in the sink. They are never quite the same again, usually the bill warps or the sweat band falls apart.

Jeff in ND

Comment

The infamous green hat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6929 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	1723502
                Richard Quinn
                Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Green hat body style

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                  Maybe 15-20 years ago, I rode out with Jim Turner to the York Swap Meet. We were to stop at Studebaker
                  International
                  on our way east out of Indianapolis. Our mission was to pick up some late orders Ed Reynolds wanted to deliver to customers at York; orders Ed had received since he had left for York a couple days earlier.

By the time Jim and I got to Studebaker International, I realized I had forgotten my hat. So I bought one at SI; a green one with a Studebaker "S" logo. Through the years, it's been in several Turning Wheels photos (on my head) and has become sort of a trademark. Once or twice I forgot it and someone asked, "Where is your green hat?"

Well, it was looking kind of dingy, so I decided I'd better wash it before boarding the plane for Tacoma Tuesday morning the 28th. So I doused it with heavy-duty pre-treat stain remover and tossed it in the washing machine on super cycle with some other last-minute clothes.

Suffice to say it won't be coming along:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75192[/ATTACH]
                  Is that the 1964 and up 'wagonHair' version? I love puns.......who can come up with better ones??

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
                    I've never had good luck trying to wash a cap, even hand wash in the sink. They are never quite the same again, usually the bill warps or the sweat band falls apart.
                    NOW you tell me, Jeff! BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Wash your hats in the top tray of the dishwasher, comes out perfect.

Comment

Skytop? .lllllllllll
                        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                        1950 Champion Convertible
                        1950 Champion 4Dr
                        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Is the battery hold-down still ok?
                          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Looks like Bob blew-out his brain hold-down. Never fear Bob, most of our Studebaker parts vendors offer new brain hold-downs. We wouldn't want you to lose your marbles!
                            sigpic
                            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
                              Wash your hats in the top tray of the dishwasher, comes out perfect.
                              Dry them on a 2 quart pot turned upside down so they retain their shape.

Comment

Working...
                              X